• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wtf delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All weights in excess of 150k lbs have a clean speed greater than 250kts. The speed book tops out at a clean speed of 264kts.

If your a Delta guy: go to the M88 flight deck manual link in Delta net, open the speed book link, and the speeds are all there. I opened it last night just for an exact crosscheck.

Most of the time, I think it's basically just a slur of words that some guys are prone to when they quickly transition from the vowel ending of Delta into the flight number which they're then trying to remember in the jumble of other numbers. The guys I've flown with who said "Deltas" weren't consistently saying it - and I've even caught myself doing it once or twice even though I personally think it's annoying and cringeworthy.

Granted, I've heard some consistenent Deltas guys - and there's a few theories behind their choice of non-standard call sign:

1.) Some people claim its a subtle dig to denote Delta - South and they're RD, hired not acquired blah blah blah. Personally, I think that theory is horsecrap. If it is true, they need to get over it - $4 Bil annually in profit should be good enough to let go of their petty merger quibbles and worry about their boat, marriage problems, or their train wreck kids.

2.) Delta is phonetic "D", Deltas (Delta's) provides a differentiation.

3.) They mistakenly believe they sound cool.

4.) They're a flight of two or more. :D

Last edited:
Most of the time, I think it's basically just a slur of words that some guys are prone to when they quickly transition from the vowel ending of Delta into the flight number which they're then trying to remember in the jumble of other numbers. The guys I've flown with who said "Deltas" weren't consistently saying it - and I've even caught myself doing it once or twice even though I personally think it's annoying and cringeworthy.

Granted, I've heard some consistenent Deltas guys - and there's a few theories behind their choice of non-standard call sign:

1.) Some people claim its a subtle dig to denote Delta - South and they're RD, hired not acquired blah blah blah. Personally, I think that theory is horsecrap. If it is true, they need to get over it - $4 Bil annually in profit should be good enough to let go of their petty merger quibbles and worry about their boat, marriage problems, or their train wreck kids.

2.) Delta is phonetic "D", Deltas (Delta's) provides a differentiation.

3.) They mistakenly believe they sound cool.

4.) They're a flight of two or more. :D

We've got all this covered at United. None of our phonetic indiscretions can be heard over our distortion heavy transmissions. Genius!

Isn't it in Delta's manual to ask for a wind check before landing?

A DL dumpster told me that is had to do with limitations for an auto land.
How true that is I don't know.

But when it is clear and a million, don't they remember how to manually land it?
OMG, there is wind out there!

It is related to the auto throttles. When not in use, the approach speed is calculated on the REF speed plus an additive. The additive is based on a portion of the steady state wind, and the gust factor. If the ATIS is 45 min old and its a windy day, the most current information would be the best. Yes. ... Even if it is clear and a million. Fly safe.

Wrong dumbass!

Wow...no wonder this forum is a grave yard.

The original post said. "The MadDog (M88) has the wing of a DC-9. Clean speed in excess of 260kts is not uncommon for takeoff"

That led me to believe the poster was talking about his takeoff speed.

Latest resources

Back