WSJ - US/UAL merger talks "becoming very serious"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Son wouldn't have a leg to stand on since delta would still be bigger

I seriously doubt these two will ever merge. Way too much route overlap, and they have nothing to offer each other. What this will do IMHO is force a merger with UAL and CAL.

lets not forget that cal was the worst disorganized airline in the 80 and 90's. Now somehow they are better. Things change. The pft generation on here seems to be clueless on the dynamics of airlines and how things change. United in the mid 90's was the most sought after job.

Delta in the 80's was pretty much a regional airline and grew thanks to many intl airlines like pan am, braniff and eastern failing. United had 15 year f/e's at one time. How fast you people are to label airlines shows your age and your maturity.

M

amen brother mcdu

I seriously doubt these two will ever merge. Way too much route overlap, and they have nothing to offer each other. What this will do IMHO is force a merger with UAL and CAL.

I disagree with this. UAL has always been relatively weak on the east coast. No amount of tinkering with IAD has ever fixed this.

LCC brings a top 5 O&D market (PHL), along with a solid connecting hub with a reasonable, if not spectacular catchement area (CLT) and a very decent market share up and down the east coast. Add in a reasonable number of European destinations along with good number of Carribean destinations, and you really have something worth looking at.

It would provide UAL with something they never really had...a SOLID east coast presence. They could move all the N/S connecting traffic to CLT, and focus on DCA for O&D, and that would alieviate most of the DOJ worries.

CAL would be a better choice, because it would blanket both Europe and the Pacific, and it provides the #1 O&D NYC. OTOH, it does't provide the east coast blanket that LCC does, and you're left trying to make east coast connections through EWR rather than the relatively central and fair weathered CLT.

IMHO, LCC is a very viable choice. CAL is in the unenviable position of either jumping in and dealing with UAL or becoming a distant #4. Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

Nu

Crzi pilot is right-

but IMO - the sli would be between Nic and Ual- with all the furloughs on both sides- what a cluster-

it'll be a Nic list on top of a nic list

IMHO, the SLI would be between the old America West list, the old US Airways list, and the United list. I also think USAPA would be the bargaining unit between the three. It's no secret that the majority of the United pilots hate ALPA. I think anyone currently furloughed is screwed if this merger happens as there won't be call-backs for years. If anything, this merger will bring more furloughs. The Delta/NWA merger avoided furloughs within the mainline pilot group, but numerous regional pilots were furloughed and numerous office jobs were lost as a result of that merger.

I disagree with this. UAL has always been relatively weak on the east coast. No amount of tinkering with IAD has ever fixed this.

LCC brings a top 5 O&D market (PHL), along with a solid connecting hub with a reasonable, if not spectacular catchement area (CLT) and a very decent market share up and down the east coast. Add in a reasonable number of European destinations along with good number of Carribean destinations, and you really have something worth looking at.

It would provide UAL with something they never really had...a SOLID east coast presence. They could move all the N/S connecting traffic to CLT, and focus on DCA for O&D, and that would alieviate most of the DOJ worries.

CAL would be a better choice, because it would blanket both Europe and the Pacific, and it provides the #1 O&D NYC. OTOH, it does't provide the east coast blanket that LCC does, and you're left trying to make east coast connections through EWR rather than the relatively central and fair weathered CLT.

IMHO, LCC is a very viable choice. CAL is in the unenviable position of either jumping in and dealing with UAL or becoming a distant #4. Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

Nu

All true IF these senior management types actually wanted to run an airline, which should be apparent to all by now, that is not the case. This is all about tying the deal up, getting it past regulators, and raking in the bonuses. It doesn't have to make any sense to the flying public or the employees left holding the bag.

We can only hope that after the pillage, those carpet baggers will get lost.

Ok- what's the argument for their being 3 lists integrated?

No one seems to see the beauty in this. Route overlap = monopoly and increased yield. If PHL, IAD,DCA and CLT are all United then there is no one to undersell each other. If you live in the Mid-Atlantic you would be forced to use United and pay a high yield. Think evil empire!

With all your Union experience at Allegiant, I'm sure your "opinion" will be exactly how it goes down.
:laugh:

I have never worked at Allegiant. My opinion is just as valid as the other guys. No one knows how it will go down. I personally don't think this merger will ever happen. I was just posting the exact opposite of what the other guy posted. I think what I posted could actually happen though if a lot of things align, but it is not probable.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back