Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ article - Airlines Fact Acute Shortage of Pilots (yes Kit Darby is in it)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doesn't mean they'll be any good at it. In fact, most of the aviators over there suck. But you only have to train and automate to the lowest common denominator...

Let's go on a field trip to do a little experiment... over to our local Wal-Mart.... we will be able to get empirical evidence regarding the average consumer's concern about quality, professionalism, and service.

Basic math
C172-$140.00 HR
Seneca-$200.00 HR
X 40 private
X 125 inst
X 250 comm
X 1500 ATP
Weak economy, 0 financing available, who in this economy has 10-20-60K in training costs for a job that starts out at $22.00 per flight hour? Rich Kids? Now there's a bonafide qualifier for entry into this field.
The regionals are quietly panicking, Eagle is offering a 5K signing bonus, when in the last 50 years has that happened. Most of you are Stockholm Syndrome victims, this industry is in serious trouble, and I for one am enjoying it!

Lets assume there really is a pilot shortage... even maybe 50,000 pilots needed in two years.

China has 1.5 billion people and it takes less than two years to train someone from riding a bicycle to flying a 747.

There is nothing inherently unique about aviation that requires the labor force to be born and raised in the U.S. ... just like the production of steal or any other product that is no longer "made in America".

Wish I could see it differently but when there is a crisis to exploit it usually doesn't result in the rich becoming poorer.

1.2 billion of those people haven't operated anything more complex than a bicycle, ever. By your logic the NBA should be staffed by nothing but giant Chinese dudes, but it ain't. There is a reason there is an expat market for western pilots, and cheap isn't the qualifier.

Let's go on a field trip to do a little experiment... over to our local Wal-Mart.... we will be able to get empirical evidence regarding the average consumer's concern about quality, professionalism, and service.

Lead paint on your kids toys is one thing a A380 slamming into the side of a mountain is another....

1.2 billion of those people haven't operated anything more complex than a bicycle, ever. By your logic the NBA should be staffed by nothing but giant Chinese dudes, but it ain't. There is a reason there is an expat market for western pilots, and cheap isn't the qualifier.

People said the same thing about Japanese automakers! Now look at the Japanese automakers, I hope you are looking through your windshield because you are certainly behind them.

I would really like to believe that becoming a pilot is as difficult as becoming a forward for the Celtics, but truth be told becoming a pilot is not much more technically challenging than becoming a season ticket holder for the Celtics…

Lead paint on your kids toys is one thing a A380 slamming into the side of a mountain is another....

Arguing that the Chinese, or any other nationality for that matter, is incapable of manufacturing professional pilots above the standard of "lead paint on toys"… That is a faulty premise.

Millions of US jobs have been moved overseas in a myriad of industries across all levels of technology. The travel and transportation industry are ripe for replacing companies and crews with foreigners willing to provide the same product for less. Lets talk again in five years to review.

I hope this does not lead to some stupid last-minute change to the retirement age.

The gummers have to go, they've already stolen enough food off of other pilots' plates.

I hope this does not lead to some stupid last-minute change to the retirement age.

The gummers have to go, they've already stolen enough food off of other pilots' plates.
pure "Get out of my seat"

to start with, but after this 21 year old has flown for two years, he will have over 1500 hours of ME TJ time, completing with the college grad with no ME TJ time. The 1500 rule will drive the hiring of the experienced non-college grad at every level. Too bad it not 1978 again

again only time will tell, but the 2012 hirng boom is underway
Screw the college degree. Always felt that it is useless. A college degree doesnt make one a better pilot.

Latest resources

Back