• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ article: AF447.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fuel flow is the way to go. Example on the ERJ 1250pph/side = 250 knots. 800pph/-1000fpm = 245 knots, etc. I may be showing ignorance, but I believe the technique works for any jet, obviously the actual numbers will be different.

Works well regardless of altitude. However, in severe turbulence, you'd need a touch more, assuming you could even read the indication.

Last edited:
Fuel flow is the way to go. Example on the ERJ 1250pph/side = 250 knots. 800pph/-1000fpm = 245 knots, etc. I may be showing ignorance, but I believe the technique works for any jet, obviously the actual numbers will be different.

Works well regardless of altitude. However, in severe turbulence, you'd need a touch more, assuming you could even read the indication.
Pilots have been doing this since the jet engine was invented.

Thread drift....

Works well regardless of altitude?

I have observed 250 IAS at 2300lbs pph/side and 4000 pph/side

The difference was about 35,000 feet of altitude.

Airbus doesn't train fuel flow, they train one power detent and three various pitch levels, depending on altitude.

Loss of reliable airspeed is an absolute must memory item for airbus operators

we need to teach "pitch+power+configuration=performance"

As a professional pilot you should be able to fly your aircraft without airspeed. This was taught to me in basic training.

As a professional pilot you should be able to fly your aircraft without airspeed. This was taught to me in basic training.
at night, 40,000ft, in turbulance, with no autopilot, you were taught to fly without airspeed? Wow, thats some wonderful training right there.

at night, 40,000ft, in turbulance, with no autopilot, you were taught to fly without airspeed? Wow, thats some wonderful training right there.

In case you didn't know, all airplanes fly the same... whether they are a Cessna 152 or an airliner at alititude. With a loss of airspeed information you MUST resort to pitch and power.

That is not what I said, but go ahead and attack the messenger since you have not else to add. Also, did I ref this accident? no! History is starting to show there's a training problem.

In case you didn't know, all airplanes fly the same... whether they are a Cessna 152 or an airliner at alititude. With a loss of airspeed information you MUST resort to pitch and power.
OK, you got me, I guess swept wing jets fly the same and stall the same as straight wing props.

NOT.

Latest resources

Back