• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ 10/5: "Tax the Airlines"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Isn't it interesting how Big Government's easy answer is to increase taxes without even attempting to cut waste and costs. I'm sure that there are no efficiencies to be gained with all the blue shirts diligently standing around the concourse. I had 3 of them the other day stand outside on the ramp and just watch our aircraft for 30 minutes while it was being turned. I sure felt secure!

"Delta's Mr. Anderson said if his company couldn't pass on that expense, it would have to shrink. He and others in the industry think smaller communities would be the hardest hit."

As discussed in another thread.

$25 baggage fees = passengers won't mind - boon to the industry
$5 increase in departure taxes = end of the world.

So an industry (minus SWA) trying to find a way to maintain profits through fees and the like = bad in your world

Govt taxing the profits out of an industry = good???????

Yes, SWA has a way of running their business without fees for luggage, but what you fail to realize, is that the biz customers, loyal customers with any semblance of frequent flier points doesn't pay those fees. Those fees are for the once every three years flyer who shops on expedia for the $5 cheaper fare.
After all, SWA claims to have earned business by everybody else charging fees, you should be happy!!!!
Nobody will win if the govt taxes the takeoffs, even SWA will pay a price.

So an industry (minus SWA) trying to find a way to maintain profits through fees and the like = bad in your world

Govt taxing the profits out of an industry = good???????

Yes, SWA has a way of running their business without fees for luggage, but what you fail to realize, is that the biz customers, loyal customers with any semblance of frequent flier points doesn't pay those fees. Those fees are for the once every three years flyer who shops on expedia for the $5 cheaper fare.
After all, SWA claims to have earned business by everybody else charging fees, you should be happy!!!!
Nobody will win if the govt taxes the takeoffs, even SWA will pay a price.

While I agree with the premise of your first point I must disagree with the bolded bit. I fly 46 times a year on the majors (AA, Delta, UAL, SWA) and I don't qualify for free bags on any except the one that doesn't charge. I have FF with all.

None of my tickets are bought on expedia, and they are almost all bought the night before. Many are first class too. (Those get free checked bags)

Last edited:
Is there any thread that you won't jump on and somehow twist it into an anti-SWA rage?

What rage? SWAPA pilot complains that the airlines are charging bag fees and complaining about taxes..... If someone disagrees with a SWAPA pilots complaint, that equals rage? SWA makes money without bag fees, got it. In fact they claim they make more because of bag fees, so they should be happy???? no?

Is there any thread that you won't jump on and somehow twist it into an anti-SWA rage?

What rage? SWAPA pilot complains that the airlines are charging bag fees and complaining about taxes..... If someone disagrees with a SWAPA pilots complaint, that equals rage? SWA makes money without bag fees, got it. In fact they claim they make more because of bag fees, so they should be happy???? no?

He isn't a SWA pilot but then you knew that. My first post above stands except that I will add that you will justify your anti-SWA rages by pointing to the most convenient post and screaming......"But I was just replying to the SWAPA pilot who said"........

Typical of the "I am a Victim Mentality"......

Several hundred of your clones are sleeping in a Park down on Wall Street.....

The $100.00 fee is for turbine equipment only.

You're gonna need to source that claim, as NOTHING in the actual proposal mentioned turbine equipment.

What it did exclude was "recreational piston aircraft", with no definition as to what is or is not "recreational". If the Obama Administration wanted to exclude all piston aircraft operations, they wouldn't have put a "recreational" qualifier on it.

As written, this $100 per segment tax will cost my company over $40k per year in additional taxes, between our jet and our Cirrus (which is a business aircraft that flies IFR). And I can damn sure bet we'll see exactly ZERO benefit from those additional fees.

As written, this $100 per segment tax will cost my company over $40k per year in additional taxes, between our jet and our Cirrus (which is a business aircraft that flies IFR). And I can damn sure bet we'll see exactly ZERO benefit from those additional fees.

... and let's not forget the price of avgas that has more than tripled over a 10 year period.

So how's that Hope & Change thingy working out for you? :laugh:

So how's that Hope & Change thingy working out for you? :laugh:

Saw a great bumper sticker at a Horse show this weekend. A hot looking gal with a new truck had a picture of Obama with the caption "Does this Ass make my truck look big?".......love it.....

Latest resources

Back