Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

zuka

freight doggy dog
I recently flew with somebody who writes everything down. Even to the point that recently he had his pen ready as he was pulling off the high speed so he was ready to write down the taxi clearance while he was pilot flying. He is a very good pilot and I'm not criticizing him, but comparing him to myself who relies on short term memory for a lot of instructions.

The purpose of this is to analyze technique and identify any possible hazardous attitudes or techniques to improve safety.

I've flown with a lot of pilots and I would say 70% rely on short term memory for simple taxi clearances and vectors or altitudes. Some start off the day by writing down a simple taxi clearance then after a few hours are doing it by memory.

I think for myself I write down instructions that are not be used in the immediate future such as a departure clearance or an air reroute, for instructions that will be used in the immediate future I usually use short term memory and do not write it down.

Below are some examples:

Departure Clearance - Yes, EVERYBODY EVERYBODY should write this down!

Cleared for takeoff - Never seen anybody write this down

Turn Left 330, Descend 3000 - People usually don't write this down

Descent 3000, DPL4A arrival, proceed direct DPL - similar to last but longer?

Contact center 125.25 - I've seen some people write this down, I don't

Taxi 36L via Echo - usually I use memory and don't write it down.

Taxi W2,T,T3,Z parking spot 203 - Similar to last but longer - maybe should write it down?

What technique do you use?

I recently flew with somebody who writes everything down. Even to the point that recently he had his pen ready as he was pulling off the high speed so he was ready to write down the taxi clearance while he was pilot flying. He is a very good pilot and I'm not criticizing him, but comparing him to myself who relies on short term memory for a lot of instructions.

The purpose of this is to analyze technique and identify any possible hazardous attitudes or techniques to improve safety.

I've flown with a lot of pilots and I would say 70% rely on short term memory for simple taxi clearances and vectors or altitudes. Some start off the day by writing down a simple taxi clearance then after a few hours are doing it by memory.

I think for myself I write down instructions that are not be used in the immediate future such as a departure clearance or an air reroute, for instructions that will be used in the immediate future I usually use short term memory and do not write it down.

Below are some examples:

Departure Clearance - Yes, EVERYBODY EVERYBODY should write this down!

Cleared for takeoff - Never seen anybody write this down

Turn Left 330, Descend 3000 - People usually don't write this down

Descent 3000, DPL4A arrival, proceed direct DPL - similar to last but longer?

Contact center 125.25 - I've seen some people write this down, I don't

Taxi 36L via Echo - usually I use memory and don't write it down.

Taxi W2,T,T3,Z parking spot 203 - Similar to last but longer - maybe should write it down?

What technique do you use?

When I use to flight instruct, I taught students who flew through busy airspace under radar control to make three columns on a note pad or knee board, (what ever system they liked):Heading, Altitude, and Freq and just make a running list. It worked well in aircraft like C172s or light twins. Since I've been in the airlines, I ALWAYS write down clearance or reroutes, and any taxi instructions with more than on part, (like taxi East on Bravo, hold short Bravo 11) unless I am INTIMATELY familiar with the airport. Besides that, the altitudes, headings, intercepts, etc, go in the preselect or FMS. I don't write ANY of it down.

I write down ATIS. At airports that I have never flown to before with a tower and more complicated taxi and runway outlines, I like to write down ATC instructions just to make sure I have my clearances correct.

I write down ATIS. At airports that I have never flown to before with a tower and more complicated taxi and runway outlines, I like to write down ATC instructions just to make sure I have my clearances correct.

If only you knew young grasshopper.

Any dumbarse that is writing a taxi clearance down as he exits a highspeed is itching to put 'er in the dirt.

Scratchpad for taxi. Pen at the ready for a verbal reroute.

But I'm not a cocked, locked, and ready to rock guy. If I screw it up they can repeat it. It's their job.

Gup

Any dumbarse that is writing a taxi clearance down as he exits a highspeed is itching to put 'er in the dirt.

Scratchpad for taxi. Pen at the ready for a verbal reroute.

But I'm not a cocked, locked, and ready to rock guy. If I screw it up they can repeat it. It's their job.

Gup

+1

Ref

When a guy comes to the plane with an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper filled out duplicating everything that is already on the flight paperwork, it is your first clue that is is going to take all your effort to avoid ASAP reports. This guy is either losing his memory and knows it, has OCD, or is simply uncomfortable with being in charge of a large object moving through the air. He will spend more time folding the ATIS report to the exact right size than he will looking out the front window.

He will then spend all his time in the plane typing on the FMC, tearing paperwork off the printer, or writing more notes to himself at the most inappropriate times. He will know where the plane is at all times--for the first leg or two. Afterwards, he will be so worn out with all the extra mental tasks he has loaded on himself that he will start missing important things. At this point, you will have to be as focused and alert as you can be prevent busted altitudes, courses, and general mayhem.

If you're lucky, it's only a turn. If you're on a multiple leg per day four day, you will be as worn out as you've ever been when it is over.

Last edited:
Whatever works-- I hear some people will start a thread about writing things down? that goes right in my who cares category. ;-) The high speed ought to have got your attention, but it could be solved with a quick 'priorities' conversation in about a minute at the gate. Our FOM says we'll copy down taxi instructions- so I tend to do it- and it's nice to have a back up as much as the Feds are in our arse about incursions- in the air, the MCP and FMS become defacto- if it'll take a while to load up and confirm, I'm not above writing it down before it escapes the short-term. Familiarity is a strange devil too- I've seen FO's write down what they were expecting to hear AND read it back AND the controller didn't correct him.... No substitute for thinking and paying attention, the techniques to help that ... I don't have a desire to care- full circle- whatever works...

Latest resources

Back