• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wrigth Pat C-17's?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The whole point of RERP is not so much for performance, but to enhance the reliability, and it has been doing that. .

That's until the engineer's want to party in some exotic place or want more crew rest!

1- There are only 2 airports CRAF doesn't go into that C-5's do, so that's a non issue

2- M already goes directly to AOR from CONUS unlike the 17

3- Again, we don't need any more cargo planes that can't drive on, drive off rolling stock. So your plan is the only strat aircraft the AF would have that could drive on/off is the 17...ridiculous, and will never happen, so the argument is moot.

and they are not -800's, just -8's

They don't need a fleet of them, maybe 15 to 20 placed on both coasts, again operated by both active dooty and reserve, keep them away from the guard; to difficult to get them full time when needed! Equipped with MWS, those -800's could deliver cargo directly into the AOR, vs the CRAF which drops most of that cargo off outside of the box, and it's trans-loaded onto 130's or 17's.

Or send them to the Guard to get the FMC rate back up...then take them back like they did the B-1.

It's funny, back in my day, scheduling had to schedule at least two C-5s per mission just due to the likely hood of the first one breaking. I like the idea of the smaller specialize squadron. Bring on more 767's and C-17's....

1- There are only 2 airports CRAF doesn't go into that C-5's do, so that's a non issue

2- M already goes directly to AOR from CONUS unlike the 17

3- Again, we don't need any more cargo planes that can't drive on, drive off rolling stock. So your plan is the only strat aircraft the AF would have that could drive on/off is the 17...ridiculous, and will never happen, so the argument is moot.

and they are not -800's, just -8's

And so you think those old tired C-5's are going to last forever?? I'll bet you are one of those who said the C-17 will never fly without a FE! One of those who said the C-17 will need a tanker to make it across the pond! One of those who said they will have to fly around with a pet rock for W&B!! All of those turned out to be lies!

I've got a news flash for you, Unless congress authorizes a whole new heavy airlift to replace the C-5 giving them drive on/off capability, you'll never see another C-5. And if they did, they sure wouldn't put an engineer on it!! The most economical option is to keep the line running at Long Beach, make an extra 20 or so, and pick up those 747-8's (2 person flight deck) and those 767's (2 person flight deck).

With each C-17 ordered, the price keeps dropping, at last check they are down around 180 mil per copy, with firm orders for another 20 or so, you might see an even lower price!!!

Dude, I don't know how else to explain it to you, a nose loader -8 or a 76 (with only a side door) do us no good. We have the CRAF fleet for that. And the 76's aren't for hauling pallets around the system, they are for passing gas, and cargo second. Why are you so hung up on the engineer thing? Who cares if it has an engineer or not? Oh and pull some missions up and tell me -17's aren't hitting tankers to cross the pond, ER or not. The M's first stage proved it's capabilities and that it was worth the $ and effort.

The 60K Tunner can handle both airplanes, and they have Tunners at the deid and Man-A$$, transloading won't be a problem! Also they have Cochran loaders at the deid!

We'll compromise, you can keep 8 or 10 C-5M's, they can junk the rest of them and go with the newer, more modern fleet. I haven't looked at g2 lately, I know a non-ER jet can make it from the east coast to europe easy! And depending upon the payload I know an ER jet can make it from the west coast to Europe.

They compromised some weight or fuel for the ability to land on unimproved surfaces less than 3,000 feet in length.

What a jet!!!!

Heard the news today.. no comments from anyone yet?
You guys haven't even gotten comfortable with you new (35+ yr old) C-5's and now you're gonna lose them?!
Was this something you were pushing for or just management?

Every day we hear new rumors here about the might C-17!

If ever there was a unit that should get the C-5M, it's here at Stewart~

Always
motch

I can't say most aren't happy about the idea of loosing our C5's (we have the biggest junk ones in the fleet...) but the decision was made way above anyone at WPAFB's pay grade!

Latest resources

Back