Wright "agreement"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TexaSWA

I was paying my water bill online today and found this on the Dallas City Hall site.

http://www.dallascityhall.com/pdf/Avi/Wright_Amend_Agreement061506.pdf

Thru ticketing will be huge, I believe. Its not the eight year freeze on the non-stop flights that bother me, Its the loss of possible gates.

Im sure someone has ideas on how to make it work.

TexaSWA said:
Thru ticketing will be huge, I believe. Its not the eight year freeze on the non-stop flights that bother me, Its the loss of possible gates.

Im sure someone has ideas on how to make it work.

When SWA is using the 16 gates as per the agreement, SWA will then use 2 more gates than they use now. In addition, SWA has maintained that with the Wright (Wrong) Amendmnent gone, that the DAL operation would resemble the HOU operation in terms of numbers of daily flights.

While DAL may be down to 117 daily flights, let's not forget that before 9/11 SWA operated approx. 145 flights per day at DAL....just over the current daily number of HOU flights.

And, I do agree with you that the thru-ticketing will be huge

Tejas

I've been thinking about this a bit. Yeah, losing the gates hurts, the 8 year phase out is ridiculous. Smaller markets may suffer with loss of service.

However, thru-ticketing will provide instant feedback as to what cities WN should expand to once the WA expires. Built-in market analysis.

Fewer gates mean fewer flights, which means fewer seats that results in more competition for those seats, which leads to higher fairs/yields. Crazy like a fox?

Who knows how this is all going to shake out once Congress gets hold of it.

I hate to be the idiot here, but can someone please explaint to me what throght ticketing is and how it differs from how southwest operates right now?

Prior to this agreement, it was against the law for us to sell a ticket out of Dallas other than to the cities of the states that were part of the wright amendment. Example, a pax couldn't buy a ticket from DAL to MDW. They would have to but a ticket to LIT then buy a seperate ticket from LIT to MDW. Thru-ticketing will now allow that ticket to be sold from DAL to MDW but with an initail stop in one of the wright amendment states first.

Thank you for clearing that up. I'm still having a hard time getting it through my thick skull how this will help Southwest. It seems to me the only thing that has changed for Southwest is the paperwork. In your example above will the public see any difference with the new agreement? Customers will still go through LIT to get to MDW. I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but I just can't see the positive side of this agreement for Southwest. I wish they would have dumped the Wright Amendment.

hatetoadmitit said:
Thank you for clearing that up. I'm still having a hard time getting it through my thick skull how this will help Southwest. It seems to me the only thing that has changed for Southwest is the paperwork. In your example above will the public see any difference with the new agreement? Customers will still go through LIT to get to MDW. I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but I just can't see the positive side of this agreement for Southwest. I wish they would have dumped the Wright Amendment.

Well, right now you can't look at our website and see any flights from Luv to any Non-Wright states, it means you as a consumer when looking for a LUV-LAX flight, you won't see it and will probably go to another airline. Unless you know to look for another flight from the wright state destination (say ABQ) to LAX.

In fact, here in Dallas, SWA can't even advertise for a non-Wright state.
For example, SWA can't advertise or sell a ticket to Orlando here in Dallas.

When Senator McCain flies SWA back to Phoenix, he had to buy a ticket to El Paso, get off the plane and then go onto PHX, maybe even on the same plane. He didn't like that and was a big advocate for turning the amendment over.

Judge said:
He didn't like that and was a big advocate for turning the amendment over.

Until UsAir moved to Phoenix. I think he has changed his mind.

Latest resources

Back