WOW! What a concept!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ArianaAfghanAir said:
So airlines fix might be fixing prices and their offices get raided, but oil companies post multi billion dollar quarterly profits and nothing happens? Hmmmmmm?..............riiiiiiiight!
Ok, for God's sake, the profit margin that the oil companies are running (8.5%) is well below the average for drug companies (18%), banks (20%), and countless others. They just sell a lot more product, thus make more money overall. It's not like their margins are out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
atrdriver said:
Ok, for God's sake, the profit margin that the oil companies are running (8.5%) is well below the average for drug companies (18%), banks (20%), and countless others. They just sell a lot more product, thus make more money overall. It's not like their margins are out of the ordinary.

You also realize that oil companies are speculators. Their investment is finding the oil and pulling it out of the ground. The product is a commodity which is traded in the open market...they have little direct control on market price. They are doing extremely well because Americans blow mud every time there is a story on CNN that shows an Arab with a gun, and an oil well in the same picture.

Chew on this if you like though ... unlike SWA's CEO, there's been no mention of pilot pay CUTS by UPS's CEO. :eek:

I must have missed that. Where is your source? You must have us mixed up with some other airline. Chew on this: your management would farm out your flying in a second, if they could pull it off. They are already doing it in China.

canyonblue said:
All that loot and SWA still pays better than UPS or a FedEX 727 pilot. You guys need to get on management about that. They pass the cost on to the customer, then keep it for themselves.
SWA year 2 FO $85/hr
FDX year 2 FO $96/hr or $117 in a widebody which is easily done.
What exactly is your point about our pay?

SAW/FO said:
I must have missed that. Where is your source? You must have us mixed up with some other airline. Chew on this: your management would farm out your flying in a second, if they could pull it off. They are already doing it in China.
Intra-China, not in and out of China. Just one of our hundred+ international destinations. Where exactly does SWA fly internationally? Oh, I forgot...they don't.

SWA/FO said:

I believe it was in USA Today a while back. In response to a reporter's question about Legacy pay cuts in bankruptcy and SWA's continued ability to compete ... Kelly was quoted as saying pay cuts for pilots were not out of the question but that he preferred a plan for increased productivity first. Sorry, I don't have it handy. I just made a mental note of it.

As far as UPS violating our scope and subcontracting out flying, we're in total agreement. If they thought they could get away with it they'd be doing it on a wide scale. I have no doubt they violate it daily with some international routes.

As far as your China comment, "UPS now flies to more points in China than any other US airline, freight or passenger," according to David Abney, president, UPS International Operations. There is so much growth in China and Asia (in general) that there is plenty for everyone, including us lowly UPS line slugs.

Under the "who give's a rat's fanny" category .... just a bit of perspective on how LARGE this market is ... UPS now serves 330 cities in China ... and GROWING.

Cheers SWA/FO.

BBB

Big Beer Belly said:
Canyon,

Not another "mine is bigger thread" ... puhleeeez.

BBB

After reading this website for 8 months I don't think most members here could participate in a "mine is bigger thread".:laugh: Bigger than what.. dental floss???:laugh:

Not always

TheBaron said:
SWA year 2 FO $85/hr
FDX year 2 FO $96/hr or $117 in a widebody which is easily done.
What exactly is your point about our pay?

I don't know about easily. I was on RESERVE in the back of the Boeing for 2 years, so although things are moving quickly now, they don't always.

Here's to hoping that the good times continue. (knocking on wood)

FJ

let me beat this drum again- when the TA comes out, flip a few pages past compensation and look at scope.

Yeah, dude we don't fly out of the Country - thats a good one. You got us there.

Not that I care what you make, but your converstions on our pay is wrong. The is no real way to convert it...see TFP (trips for pay) * Rate / block time = hourly (for that trip or month). We usually under fly so the "hourly rate" fluctuates. An example my 4 last trips (this is the FACTS, baby):

3 day trip 25.1 TFP * 100.28 (TFP rate) / 19:20 block = 130.42 an hour
3 day trip 26.99 TFP * 100.28 / 20:43 = 130.75
3 day trip 35.02 TFP (major re-routes, not common) *100.28 / 20:37 = 170.48 an hour

Current Trip 4 day (last day tomorrow) projected to block 26.0 hours
4 day trip 33.4 TFP * 100.28 / 26.0 = 128.82

Looks like I have averaged 140.12 an hour over my last 4 trips. I don't even have to leave the Country!! Or have a 50 hour layover anywhere. Keep in mind this is 5th year FO pay - but the story is the same for anyone here at Southwest Airlines, some of you guys are to dumb to realize this.

I hope this proves my point that the "hourly" rate conversion is WRONG. So in fact we probably DO make more money then some. Canyon was right-on...a HERO to all.

:pimp:
the SWA/FO

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back