• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you do it all over again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It has been a fantastic adventure, I would change little. My son is a pilot and my grandson is waiting to solo on his 16th B'day.

I think I would have done the same thing, except I would have worked a little harder on cheating at Powerball.

I would not do it again. I have my resignation letter typed up and the box with my pub's/pins addressed to ASA sitting in my office. As soon as I find another job or go back to my old one I am done. I tried it and don't like it. Fun plane to fly; nice people to work with but no money and a ugly schedule.
I wish I would have started this when I was in my early 20's not mid 30's. Oh well.

I have an engineering degree and from my group of friends who are still doing that work, I can tell you that most of them would love to change places with me. Perhaps some people have a vision of greener pastures on the other side, but depending on the sort of engineering you do and who you work for, the big salaries and great benefits aren't there anymore.

As for me, I started flying at a regional in late 2000. My goal was to fly for the majors but in the wake of 9/11, that changed. Nowadays, I'm working for a fractional and pretty happy. So yes, I'd do it again and ditch an office job for flying.

In all honesty, for those of you who don't like flying, put the effort in to find a career that you prefer. Life's too short to spend it bitter and resentful.

I would have married a rich woman to pay for all my flight training.

Regardless of how you feel about flying now, would you get into aviation again if you knew what was in store? Especially if you started in the early 90's or 2001 or any other stellar stretch of aviation hiring. Yes, No, or Hell No

No way! Flying should be for fun, its no career. I don't care what anyone says.

Absolutely yes. It's an easy job, pretty good money, no stress. Life is good.

What other job would pay me $100K to fly jets 14 days a month and non-rev to Europe on my off days?

That's a hell of a regional you fly for; who was that again?
I've flown for many different companies. I was referring to quitting the career. Hey, if you have the time to be hired by a regional, you have the time to be hired by the companies I worked for.
Was a regional YOUR only job?
Who pissed in your Cherrios?

Absolutely yes. It's an easy job, pretty good money, no stress. Life is good.

What other job would pay me $100K to fly jets 14 days a month and non-rev to Europe on my off days?

This is how I decided to quit. Think about it, count up the amount of days that you will see your wife, family, kids, friends, dog, cat, gay lover, or whatever, and cut that in two. That is what it means to be a pilot. Now do you think that you are paid enough to make that sacrifice. Because that is what it is. Are you willing to see your loved ones half an much in order to push the autopilot button. I know that when it all ends and I am on my death bed I won't wish that I had spent more time away from the people that matter most. Oh and how many trips did you make to Europe last year.

Buy an experimental for $20,000 and go do loops until you puke.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back