• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagle757shark

by OrlandoSentinel.com

April 28, 2008

Could AirTran Airways be sold? Bob Fornaro, chief executive of Orlando-based AirTran Holdings Inc., said last week that management would be willing to consider it. "Our board is focused on the shareholder, and if we received an offer at AirTran, we'd take it to the board and we would be very open-minded about it," Fornaro said in response to a question from an analyst. AirTran stock hit a 52-week low Friday before closing up two cents at $3.22 a share. Of course, shares of most other U.S. airlines have also tanked recently, so it's not at all clear whether another carrier could find the cash to make an offer.

by OrlandoSentinel.com

April 28, 2008

Could AirTran Airways be sold? Bob Fornaro, chief executive of Orlando-based AirTran Holdings Inc., said last week that management would be willing to consider it. "Our board is focused on the shareholder, and if we received an offer at AirTran, we'd take it to the board and we would be very open-minded about it," Fornaro said in response to a question from an analyst. AirTran stock hit a 52-week low Friday before closing up two cents at $3.22 a share. Of course, shares of most other U.S. airlines have also tanked recently, so it's not at all clear whether another carrier could find the cash to make an offer.

Receptive? I think they are begging for it!

As for the company being willing to entertain offers, this is pure desperation and shows what tough shape EVERYONE is in right now in this environment. I hate to say it, but everyone better get a dance partner, because the music is about to stop and those with someone to hang onto will be better off. I think we'll see the outlines of 4 or so big airlines be the end of the year--lots of lost jobs that would really hurt a lot of people. Not good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the following link ups with the following players dead or dying on the vine.

Link ups approved--
DAL/NWA
UAL/USAir
AA/CAL/Alaska
SW/Alaska
SW/Airtran

Dead or dying--
JetBlue
Frontier
Spirit
Midwest
AirTran (should they not merge)

jb has 1 billion in bank and lost only 8 mil 1st quarter. Oh yeah they have LH in-play as well.
Ok, their dead.

Jet Blue has a cold at worst. I'd expect them to out last several others and they could be a survivor.

AirTran has been through several tough scrapes before and become a better airline after every battle.

I am surprised UAL and US Air have made it this long. The fact that either airline is here is a statement as to how tough and good the community of aviation professionals are at carrying inept management.

Jet Blue has a cold at worst. I'd expect them to out last several others and they could be a survivor.

AirTran has been through several tough scrapes before and become a better airline after every battle.

I am surprised UAL and US Air have made it this long. The fact that either airline is here is a statement as to how tough and good the community of aviation professionals are at carrying inept management.

This may be true for now but the last quarter earnings report doesnt show the real story. They have been propping themselves up with the sales of airplanes that they negotiated years ago at very low prices (so now there are nice margins to be had on world airplane markets). Without this the picture would most certainly be quite different. Just like SWA's fuel hedges this stream of cash under current conditions wont last for forever.

"JetBlue has generated $200 million by selling 18 planes since 2006, Barger said. The airline will cut its capacity growth to 3 percent to 5 percent this year from a previous plan to grow by 5 percent to 8 percent. By the fourth quarter, that means capacity will fall by 2.8 percent from the fourth quarter of 2007, Barger said."

I'd love to see AAI and MidWest come on board the DAL/NWA deal since we actually NEED those airplanes and could help eachother out with getting rid of rediculous $49 fares.

Jetblue has a great Live TV business. Wish Delta had bought from them instead of Panasonic.

Bob and his cronies don't know how to make money with THE LOWEST COST STRUCTURE IN THE INDUSTRY........yeah you can bet that he wants us to be bought!!!!!!

I have been saying for years these guys are boneheads!!!!!!

I'd love to see AAI and MidWest come on board the DAL/NWA deal since we actually NEED those airplanes and could help eachother out with getting rid of rediculous $49 fares.

Yeah, I'd love it too, but we all know that that will never happen. A combined carrier in ATL and the elimination of Chicago competition in MKE? Oberstar would trip over his d!ck rushing to the microphone to decry that merger.

Holla at me DOG!

Best give me a Holla, dog! I gots about 3 dolla and fitty cent...... Dat oughts to be good for at least 51%!

Hells Yeah!

Yeah, I'd love it too, but we all know that that will never happen. A combined carrier in ATL and the elimination of Chicago competition in MKE? Oberstar would trip over his d!ck rushing to the microphone to decry that merger.
Nice... I'm going to have to quote that so you can't come back and delete it.

:D

Best give me a Holla, dog! I gots about 3 dolla and fitty cent...... Dat oughts to be good for at least 51%!

Hells Yeah!
You, sir, are no BESTPILOT. Where the heck has he been, anyway?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back