Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

enigma

good ol boy
Edit: This was intended to go in a different string. I'll straighten it out later.
8N

AAFlyer, I like most of your last post, but the statement about being worth what you negotiate is not correct. You are worth what another equally qualified pilot is willing to accept. The concept of being worth what you negotiate went out when the industry de-regulated, and even then the total dollars paid to pilots was actually quite small.

Back to econ 101, unless there are solid barriers to entry into the industry, prices are set by who is willing to sell the cheapest. We are seeing this today. Major airline MEC's legally control the labor for their airline, but they can't control the competitors to their major airline. Think DAL and AirTran. It doesn't matter how high a wage you negotiated when your company furloughs because they can't sell seats on the open market. I still wish that ALPA would support a common/industry wide wage for each type of aircraft. That is probably unworkable, but at least we wouldn't be undercutting each other.

I work for a low fare carrier, (wait a minute, every carrier is a low fare carrier now days) and I'd love to be able to tell my company, that they had to pay me industry standard wages; but we will have to negotiate, and in todays market, I'm afraid we won't be able to bring the scale up very much. Rest assured that we are trying to though.:)

regards,
8N

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back