Worth It

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psysicx

I was talking to an EMS pilot who went the civi route. Said he wouldn't change a thing and loves his job. But it this really the majority? I understand the pay tops out at around $70K. Plus he lives in Phx were cost of living in pretty cheap.

To each his own, EMS is not for everyone. The environment of EMS is a constant collision of egos both medical and aviation. There isn’t a lot of flying in EMS so it is not a time builder however you are home everyday not like some helicopter jobs that are seasonal and always on the road.

It's a rare man who can say he loves his job and wouldn't change anything. I know I'm not alone when I say that an aviation career is not what I expected it to be. I still enjoy it, but for reasons that are vastly different than the reasons I thought I would enjoy it.

Personally, I'd say getting paid $70k to do something that you love is better than $150k to do something you don't... ok, maybe 100. :) Being home every night is envyable as well, but then again, financial rewards and a measure of security is its own worth as well (but the older I get, the more I'm convinced that financial security comes from good management of money rather than shear income... but I digress.)

Remember, EMS tops out at $70k. Last I checked, it starts around $50k and takes about 15 years to move up into the $70k bracket. But if you want to do that, then do it. There's more to life than making money, and if you wait to be happy until you make the big bucks, it won't ever happen (because there will always be someone making bigger bucks than you!)

Is it worth it? Only if you say it is. I don't know too many EMS helicopter guys (or EMS fixed wing guys, for that matter), but I imagine they'd say pretty much what my airline compadres would say; some hate it and say its just a job, some guys love it and can't believe that they get paid to do what they do. Most of us have days of both.

-Goose

I did it for 4 years. It was not rewarding for me personally or professionally. I liked the people that I worked with, but the job was too slow paced most of the time and at other times it was off the hook. You WILL fly the best equipment. In the end it was the rotating schedule that made me realize that I would never like the job as a career. Constantly swapping days and nights took a toll on me physically and it was difficult on my family (had 2 small kids - be quiet, Daddy has to sleep....)

Flying fixed-wing on the other hand is much more rewarding personally and profesionally. I make 2 1/2 times what I made at my last EMS job (single pilot IFR). I only RON about 30 nights a year (vs working night shifts half the year). I have excellent benefits, great bosses, great co-workers, good equipment, and I enjoy flying around the country and visiting my old buddies.

I found that the glamour and excitement of the job was not worth the sacrafices made by me and my family. Lastly, be prepared to deal with the fact that you will be the lowest paid guy on the helicopter with the responsibilty for everyone's life. If you get sideways with a nurse (even a new one) you will be looking for a new job. I was lucky that I always got along with all the medical staff, but I have seen things that would make you shake your head.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back