• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worst Weather

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Southeast ....at least last week. The Delta 75 about 40 miles ahead of us reported severe turbulence over Erlin ( 12000 ft). We didn't fair much better.

Stupid question but I'll ask it. I heard a United flight tell the control that they were getting "Mountain Waves". I honestly thought it was the same as turbulence just more likely over the monuntains.

I should say does it feel different? We fly into Denver but never go West of the airport so never go over the range.

Thanks

Mountain wave doesn't have to be bumpy at all. Two years ago I was westbound mid-30s well east of the range and the nose eased over with absolutely zero seat of the pants feel into a 1500 fpm descent. Smooth as glass. Definitely got our attention! Strangest thing was that we were in clear air, but the clouds around us appeared to be well above us but we never once entered any cloud. The tops looked like snow-covered hills with crystal clear blue sky above. They were so well defined, actually raised a few hairs on my neck it was such an eerie look. Was waiting for the proverbial mountain goat to appear. Got into a few more over the next few minutes, but we were ready for them after that first one.

+1 on the Lajes thing, and another on the TCU in Southeast Asia. Who am I kidding - there's bad weather to be had everywhere! Just gotta be ready for it.

ADK and ADQ. Beautiful on good days, attention getting on bad days.

Just curious what ways most of you avoid the weather? The radar on the ERJ is horrible. Don't trust it at all. I myself check radar summary first to see where and how high the weather is then usually pull up adds weather and see where all the watch boxes are. Then check the pilot reports and see where the bumps are and try to avoid those areas.

Like I said not sure why but the tubulence had been bothering me more the longer I have been in aviation. I have been flying my whole life and grew up with aviation for some reason I have white knickled it more in the back than I have ever before.

I just try to avoid everything and picture my family and friends in back and know if I wouldn't appreciate a crappy ride they probably wouldn't either.

I have got crap from some F/O's about going so far around the weather but figure why go through it if you don't have to.

Just curious what ways most of you avoid the weather? The radar on the ERJ is horrible. Don't trust it at all. I myself check radar summary first to see where and how high the weather is then usually pull up adds weather and see where all the watch boxes are. Then check the pilot reports and see where the bumps are and try to avoid those areas.

Like I said not sure why but the tubulence had been bothering me more the longer I have been in aviation. I have been flying my whole life and grew up with aviation for some reason I have white knickled it more in the back than I have ever before.

I just try to avoid everything and picture my family and friends in back and know if I wouldn't appreciate a crappy ride they probably wouldn't either.

I have got crap from some F/O's about going so far around the weather but figure why go through it if you don't have to.

eyeballs never failed me once. I am not fond of the guys "lets go thru it, I don't see anything in there (while fiddling with radar)", when in most cases a 10 degree left or right will take me completely AROUND it and even stay VMC the entire time.

eyeballs never failed me once. I am not fond of the guys "lets go thru it, I don't see anything in there (while fiddling with radar)", when in most cases a 10 degree left or right will take me completely AROUND it and even stay VMC the entire time.

I do agree but night takes alot of that option away besides watching lightning flash.

I've never understood pilots trying to eyeball weather once your up there. If your IMC and crossing a line TRUST YOUR RADAR. If you are uncomfortable with it, ask someone with plenty of experience to educate you. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back