• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worst mishap at an FBO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I fell out the door of a Lear 24 and did a faceplant on the ramp of the FBO in Windsor. Does this count?

Guy walking into a prop running on an ATR.

A few years ago at KAPA, (so the story goes), line crew towed a Gulfstream over an excavated hole in the pavement that was covered with plywood, main wheel broke through and crunched the wing.

I remember a good one that happened at an FBO where I was a CFI...at the end of the day one of the line guys (also the guy who was supposed to close for the night) was filling up the fuel truck at the fuel farm on the airport. The truck was taking a while to fill...and a buddy of his pulled in the drive, knocked on the door and the guy let him in. They got to talking...had a soda...decided to go meet up with a few friends at the nearby beach. He left completely forgetting about the truck which overflowed a ridicuclous amount of fuel. In fact it was a huge deal to the city, the fire department, HAZMAT, environmental types and the FBO owner who was too stunned at the stupidity of the situation to get mad. I think his response to the environmental people was..."well, it's not like anyone is ever gonna grow corn in this soil anyway..."

I forget the dollar amount of the fuel, but I do remember it was a staggering number.

Wow these are good. Having worked the line the past few years at CRG and JAX, I cant say I have had anything funny like that happen while I was on duty. On a serious note-One foggy morning a King Air 350 touched down more than halfway down runway 32 at CRG, a 4000' rwy and overran it. It hit the localizer antenna and the gear sunk halfway into the dirt, severely dented a wing and bent the props.

A while back at Signature IAD. A guy started up a Comanche with the chocks still on the nose wheel. New guy ramper got killed going through the prop arc to pull them.

Back in '91, rampie pushing back a CAL DC10 in Guam for overnight parking. Got it in place, unhooked the towbar and reached for the chocks conveniently placed atop the tug. Turned around to see the beast rolling down a slight grade which rapidly got steeper. DC10's tail came to rest on a BEQ. Luckily no one was in their rooms at the time of the accident. New enlisted quarters were a five star in town, compliments of Continental.

Took the airport, McDonnell-Douglas and others over 12 hours to inch it back up the hill for fear of breaking off the nose gear. I'll never forget the sight of that!

An FBO lineman at SDM in San Diego who refueled Bob Hoover's Shrike with Jet-A causing a dual-engine failure and off-airport landing with substantial aircraft damage. The lineman assumed it was a jet because it had a decal on each engine nacelle that said "Turbo."

IIRC, this resulted in FAA guidance that discouraged, if not prohibited, placing words like "turbo" or "jet" on or near the engines or fuel fillers of gasoline-powered aircraft.

Latest resources

Back