Worst mishap at an FBO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NYYfan said:
had a old lear 23 i think it was land on a sunday and the crew went off to the hotel pretty quickly.

next morning i was in for the 5am shift when i happen to look out of the hangar window and see the lear with the left wing tip about 8ft up in the air and the right wing tip 4 inches off the ground. Had to wake up the pilot and it took about 350 gallons to even it out.

That happens to many 20 Series Lears. The ole lazy Flapper Valve.

Another one I heard about a few years ago, although I don't know if it was an FBO or not, was a kid who hit the tail of a DC-4 with a forklift so hard that it was almost ripped completely off. The plane was on contract with the Forest Service as an Air Tanker, but was unrepairable from what I remember.

He was a ramp-rat at the Lancaster Air Tanker Base. Surprising how much damage a forklift can do to a DC-4! Saw the plane that year...it hurt just looking at it!

Eric

NYYfan said:
had a old lear 23 i think it was land on a sunday and the crew went off to the hotel pretty quickly.

next morning i was in for the 5am shift when i happen to look out of the hangar window and see the lear with the left wing tip about 8ft up in the air and the right wing tip 4 inches off the ground. Had to wake up the pilot and it took about 350 gallons to even it out.

Story i heard from the guys i worked with was that my old boss had a md 83 on the ramp and had to dump the lav so he hooked up with our lav cart which maybe holds 10 gallons. Well i guess about 10 seconds after pulling the chain the connection broke and the boss got covered head to tail in the blue juice.

Now we fast forward a few years and he and i had to dump a lav on a falcon 2000 so we were both under the plane and he takes the cap off and let me just say ive never moved so fast. I didnt get a drop on me, he unfortunatley does not have good luck.
Thats funny! I used to work for Swissport in IAD and I was dumping the lav on a SwissAir A330 and the connection popped off. Just as you said, I also have never moved so fast! Not a drop on myself! Must have looked quite funny to anyone who saw it though!

ExpWayVis31 said:
Worst mishap at an FBO ?? Was when I walked in the door and told them that I wanted to take flying lessons.

:laugh:

:bawling:

CE

CE
I see that you feel my pain.

The good news...only 14 more years until I depart the pattern...assuming age 60...55 would be even better.

He was a ramp-rat at the Lancaster Air Tanker Base. Surprising how much damage a forklift can do to a DC-4! Saw the plane that year...it hurt just looking at it!

Yeah, I think I would vomit myself to sleep for the next couple of years just thinking about it (if I had been responsible for it). Was it an Ardco plane? Minden, maybe? I can't remember. Anyway, I was trying to find a picture of the damage and came across this sweet P2V shot (not trying to hijack, just thought it was cool). Didn't find a damage picture though. http://www.cdf-firefighters.org/images/photos/submissions/tankerdropT-16%20Robert%20Rixx.jpg

Flew a beechjet to PBI and another crew from our company flew a Kingair in at lunchtime. We all went to lunch together and got a call from the FBO telling us that another crew had left a renta-car on the ramp in gear and ran it into the prop of our parked kingair.

ExpWayVis31 said:
CE
I see that you feel my pain.

The good news...only 14 more years until I depart the pattern...assuming age 60...55 would be even better.

I can't wait that long.
Have another beer. Make that JD....and leave the bottle.

CE

FIRST:

Back in '99 one Jack Roush's P-51 came in and parked for several hours. When the pilot returned he started up and taxi forward taking the tail completely off a Ductchess. The P-51 only had a dented spinner and nicked prop. The Dutchess was trucked out a few weeks later...

SECOND:

In the middle of winter one our rampies gets in a rush and goes running over to park a light twin and slips. Thankfully his leg catches the nose wheel before he gets into the props. Unfortunately, he shatters his ankle quite badly....(DON'T RUN ON ICY RAMPS....)

Latest resources

Back