Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
Did anyone go to this, this weekend? I wasn't able to get there unfortunately...work got in the way (and I only live 25 minutes away.) :mad:
One person died yesterday when his parachute malfunctioned and it sounds like his reserve didn't open in time. RIP.
Anyway, anyone go? How was it this year?

Blue skies, black death.

Didn't go, wish I could. Watched a cutaway a day while sitting here on duty, however. I went and found one of them, along with the freebag, yesterday. Every one a tandem.

Worse, my rig is locked away in my storage locker and no way to go get it. Loads landing here all day, and not a drop to drink, so to speak.

My first and only WWC was back in '94. I'll never forget how eager the locals were to pick up jumpers who landed off field and give them a ride back. My first jump there had the spot off a tad and everybody landed in a corn field. There must have been 4 pickup trucks waiting for us.

From what I hear, Rantoul aint the same as UIN.

Wasn't there a helicopter rotor fatality the first year WFFC was at Rantoul?

FN FAL said:
From what I hear, Rantoul aint the same as UIN.

Wasn't there a helicopter rotor fatality the first year WFFC was at Rantoul?

I've heard only good things about TIP...guess it's who you ask. :rolleyes: They are expecting 50,000 jumps at this event.

Yes, two years ago there was a "skimming" (you know, ski across the shallow pond, land on the far side) fatality and some poor soul was minced by the main rotor-blades of a helicopter. They picked up all the pieces that they could.
My memory on this is very rusty, but I think that it was a photographer, trying to get a shot and he walked into the "clear" zone around the chopper as the pilot was lifting off.

Flying Illini said:
I've heard only good things about TIP...guess it's who you ask. :rolleyes:

I know a lot of people that go every year....some that are just fun jumpers, some that work for skydiving manufacturers. Most all of them agree that Quincy was better...at least, up until the last 2 years it was there....but Rantoul is definitely giving it a run for its money, and getting better by the year.

Yes, two years ago there was a "skimming" (you know, ski across the shallow pond, land on the far side) fatality

It's called swooping.. Unfortunately, most fatalities these days are under perfectly functional canopies due to misjudged hook turns/carves and low panic turns(to avoid traffic, turn into the wind, etc).. Many people are flying canopies that are too small for their skill level. I've been guilty of that in the past...but have since gained quite a bit more experience and wised up. I still fly small canopies, but my canopies are larger than they were a couple years ago.

and some poor soul was minced by the main rotor-blades of a helicopter. They picked up all the pieces that they could.
My memory on this is very rusty, but I think that it was a photographer, trying to get a shot and he walked into the "clear" zone around the chopper as the pilot was lifting off.

The area where the helicopter was flying out of was a "restricted" area....nobody but staff anywhere in the area except for the boarding area...and then only jumpers that were going to be on the next load or two. There was an cornfield adjacent to the helicopter. There was a guy that asked, repeatedly, if he could go out in that cornfield and video the takeoff of the helicopter as it flew right over him. He was told no, time and time again. He snuck out there, and during the helicopters takeoff(he was still in ground effect accelerating), as it was very rapidly approaching, he stood up to video it. The rotor hit him in the head. The pilot saw him as he stood up, but wasn't able to react quickly enough to avoid him.

The worst part about the whole thing was that the guys family was trying to sue everybody even remotely associated with the helicopter or the convention...even though the guy was where he was told he COULD NOT go many times.

The WFFC is an awesome adventure....I would have liked to have gone this year, but couldn't....hopefully next year. I've been 3 times so far, and I've always had a great time. I highly recommend it to any skydiver.

Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane?

You haven't seen too many jump planes, have you?

Most I ever did was a 6 way...(yeah, yeah, freefalling that is...the rest will remain thankfully hidden) ...wish I could have stuck around for a much larger formation.

Eagleflip said:
You haven't seen too many jump planes, have you?

Most I ever did was a 6 way...(yeah, yeah, freefalling that is...the rest will remain thankfully hidden) ...wish I could have stuck around for a much larger formation.
At UIN WFFC. I was on a 20 way attempt with all us big time, big way wannabes...lots of fun, but I spent half the dive head down to get low enough to open and get out of that cluster frolic. Same thing happened at Baldwin...20 way attempt with video. We were all a bunch of big way wannabes, what a horror show! I remember watching the video and wondering what everybody had against the base, because it sure looked like they were assaulting it...me included. :)

To add injury to insult, the Baldwin 20 way attempt got spotted off airport by a friend of mine...he was a Baldwin local that used to fly at our DZ for a while. Someone ribbed him on the way up about his spotting ability and next thing you know, we're all landing in a farmers field a mile from the DZ.

Hey Frac or Eagleflip...were any of you guys at UIN WFFC when that guy broke his neck diving into the wading pool over by manifest? That was the begining of the end of good times at UIN WFFC. I remember the next day, we were on load number 3 for the 727 and one of the decedent's mates got up on the gangway after loading instructions were given and the sticks were organized and asked us all to sing their friend a "HIM"!

It was beautiful...especially for me and my friends, as we were there that night when the police tape was getting laid out and we saw them cover him with a sheet. I thought the "HIM" thing was beautiful...180 people paying homage to a lost friend or a friend we never got to meet. When the dive was over, one of our group's jumpers, a newbee skydiver blonde Amazon that was dating one of our long time regular jumpmasters, got all upset about the "HIM" thing.

Anywhoo...thanks for the memories!

WUFFO: "Wuffo you go an jump outta a perfectly good airplane, wuffo."

WUFFO: anybody who asks the above question.

WUFFO: not a complement.

There are no perfectly good airplanes.

Pilots look at a new airplane and think about logging a little time in it. Jumpers look at a new airplane and think about how to make the best exit. Pilots who are jumpers think about logging takeoffs, but not the landings.

I remember years ago when I was a fledgling commercial pilot, a gentleman offered me some time in his Beech 18. I ran to grab a rig off the shelf, and he asked me what I was doing. I told him jump, of course. He wanted to check me out in the airplane, and much as I wanted to fly jumpers in it, when I saw that open door, the only thing that crossed my mind was jumping it. When you jump and fly, staying on board and watching everyone else have the fun seems more punishment than reward.

Any work I do for a drop zone, weather flying, turning wrenches, packing, whatever...is never for money. Trading out for skydives is much more valueable, rewarding, and welcome. I'll take a red bull in the morning, a hamburger in the afternoon, and a bite of someone's chinese takeout in the evening while everyone is getting drunk, as a fringe benifit.

Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Because the door is open, of course.

Latest resources

Back