World crewmember assaulted at UAFM?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

propsarebest

Word in the grapevine is that a World crewmember was assaulted and his leg was broken while on a overnight at UAFM. Anyone have any info??

We had an FO that somthing like that happened a year or so ago. And there have been several attempts at extortion from the local police.

We had an FO that somthing like that happened a year or so ago. And there have been several attempts at extortion from the local police.

That makes sense, the word going around was that the police wanted some $$$. He had none, so they broke his leg instead.

This scenario, or something similar, has occurred with crew members from several ACMI carriers in the last year or so there. Be very careful.

I flew in there a few years ago and was told by our handler to NOT leave the hotel. Americans are not very popular there. A few months later a female US military pilot was kidnapped there. She was able to escape thankfully.

I flew in there a few years ago and was told by our handler to NOT leave the hotel. Americans are not very popular there. A few months later a female US military pilot was kidnapped there. She was able to escape thankfully.

That story about the USAF Major was on TV last year. There was something fishy about her story where she staged her kidnapping and I think there were drugs involved. I don't recall all the details...but you're right. At one point, the military people weren't normally allowed to leave the base. There was lots of crime in the area.

Let me know if you have issues over there.

It is not as bad as some other places, be smart and you should have no issue. I know several Expats that live there.

Last edited:
I have to agree with ACL65, its like a lot of places around the world. Travel in groups of 3 or 4 and keep your head on a swivel. I'm not sure how dangerous Bishkek is compared to Virginia Ave. by the ATL airport. It would be a tough call.

Latest resources

Back