World Airways?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATLboeing

Not sure if this is the right board for this, but can somebody post some info on what life is like at World? I don't know much other than they fly some cargo and military charters so any input would be great. I found the pay and general info on airlinepilotcentral.com, but still curious about quality of life, how long away from home at a time, how stable of a company are they, and some history (mergers, furloughs, etc)?
I'm an AirTran guy and just noticed their office is 5 minutes down the road from me in Peachtree City, GA and just got curious about them. I've got about 500 below me, but who knows what might happen in this industry.
Thanks for any info you could pass along.

World currently has a fleet of 12 MD-11's half freighters, half passenger. It has 6 DC-10's 2 Freight, 4 pax and 2 744's Freighter (Only one operating at the moment, the other will be online later this year). More acft to come.

About half our business is with the US Gov flying freight or passengers from a U.S. Military base to Germany; Either Frankfurt(Cargo) or Leipzig(Passenger) and then on to either Kuwait, Bagram, or Bahrain. We also do freight runs all over Southeast Asia (Japan, Korea, Guam, etc.) for the US Military.

The other half of our business is Charter Passenger flights that are seasonal, or ACMI Cargo Contracts with Companies like Lufthansa, Air China, etc. We also have a long term scheduled air service flight from Houston to Rwanda.

The company is doing really well, we are expanding like crazy. The training pipeline is full for the rest of this year. We are on schedule to make record profit this year.

World has been in business for 60 years now. We were a separate corp and purchased North American a few years back. Last year we were purchased by Global Air Logistics (Owned by Matlin Patterson) who owned ATA and owns part of Varig.

We have a good Union and a good working relationship with our management. Working conditions guarantee 12 days off a month and it's usually either all 12 together of two groups of 6. Generally though you will work two weeks on two off, however this year manning levels have dictated a little more time at work.

We are home based, so no commute to a base stresses.

The people are fantastic.

World currently has a fleet of 12 MD-11's half freighters, half passenger. It has 6 DC-10's 2 Freight, 4 pax and 2 744's Freighter (Only one operating at the moment, the other will be online later this year). More acft to come.

About half our business is with the US Gov flying freight or passengers from a U.S. Military base to Germany; Either Frankfurt(Cargo) or Leipzig(Passenger) and then on to either Kuwait, Bagram, or Bahrain. We also do freight runs all over Southeast Asia (Japan, Korea, Guam, etc.) for the US Military.

The other half of our business is Charter Passenger flights that are seasonal, or ACMI Cargo Contracts with Companies like Lufthansa, Air China, etc. We also have a long term scheduled air service flight from Houston to Rwanda.

The company is doing really well, we are expanding like crazy. The training pipeline is full for the rest of this year. We are on schedule to make record profit this year.

World has been in business for 60 years now. We were a separate corp and purchased North American a few years back. Last year we were purchased by Global Air Logistics (Owned by Matlin Patterson) who owned ATA and owns part of Varig.

We have a good Union and a good working relationship with our management. Working conditions guarantee 12 days off a month and it's usually either all 12 together of two groups of 6. Generally though you will work two weeks on two off, however this year manning levels have dictated a little more time at work.

You guys are doing Air China stuff again?

Rwanda!!! The houston express for Sonair goes to Luanda , Angola (that's bad enough but not Rwanda)
and I'm not sure about Air china - the MD11's do fly for Etihad to China.

I have been at World for amost a year and love it so far. As Dutch said there is as much work as you want at the moment (at least on the 10 side) I hardly worked at all for the first 6 months but have worked a lot for the last two. Last month I was junior assigned for a trip on 4 days off and i just received what I think is the highest paycheck I have ever had in aviation (not bad on first year pay) and I get four extra paid days vacation to take next year.

The long trips don't suit everyone but for me I like having 12 days off at home in a row. It helps that they have a great tradition that the captains don't let first year guys buy beer!

As someone else told me it is great to fly one leg in a large airplane to a nice hotel and drink beer on a long layover - for me it beats the regional lifestyle. I do know however that the guys who like it tend to be those who seek that type of flying and those types of trips - it is not for everyone.

Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. I believe I posted this in the cargo threads and it was moved here. Which section would I be able to find previous discussions?
Also, I've found the pay rates on the internet, but what are typical W-2 earnings like during years 1,2, and 3? (If you don't mind my asking)
How do you get an app on file and does it go right to the office here in Peachtree City? Do they conduct the interviews here as well?
Good info, by the way. I like the "not paying for beer" part. Right up my alley.
Thanks again.

Can someone please pm me with the HR info for world. I have a Md-11 type and have been laid off from Gemini

Latest resources

Back