working the line

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

John2375

I need some extra income if I'm ever going to fly again; I was wondering about working at an airport (probably SRQ since that's the closest for me) and if anyone here had experience doing that - is the pay worthwhile? Are there typical hours or how does that work? I could make the job I do now into part-time easily enough and work fulltime at the airport, but I have a problem working early (not because I'm lazy, but because I have to get my daughter ready for school and take her there, so I'm not free until basically 9:30am)
I know it's a good way to get to know people around the 'port too - just wondering if anyone here's done that or does it currently and could offer some insight..
Merry Christmas... :beer: John

I've worked in line service since I was 16, and that was 11 years ago, so I know a little bit about it. Don't expect to get rich from it, $10/hour would be average for a new guy. But, it is a VERY good way to get to know people, and in aviation it is who you know, not what you know that gets you the job. I have about 360 hours, and I am flying part time on a Citation II, and I think it is going to turn into something full time. I got in cause I know the pilot very well, and when they traded the king air in he needed a co pilot. Most FBO's have shifts that start around 6 am, and end around 2, then a 2 to 10 shift. Some also have overnight shifts, but thats not for everyone. Expect to work weekends for a long time. If the people you work with are into aviation, it will be fun. If you work with people that are just there for a paycheck, expect to listen to alot of complaining. Its not for everyone, you need to have a passion for aviation in order to enjoy it.

Hope that helps

I did line service from fueler to manager back in the 80s. Go talk to the FBOs and find one that will work around your schedule. Some have mid-shifts, 8-4, 9-5, 10-6. Just depends on the operation. Great place for networking and getting to know a variety of crews. The FBO I worked at was located near a world class medical facility that treated folk like me (average joe ;)) to royality and the rich and famous. I've met crews from everyday corporate, fortune 500, heads of state and celebrity.

Working the line can be a demanding job. It's not all single point and Gulfstreams. I'd bet in all my years pumping gas, I've done more in AvGas than I care to remember. You'll probably never have to encounter this, but the worst are the DC3s and older Convair's where you had to climb up on the wing and pump for what seemed like hours. Now, where I worked it was worst in December-March when the windchills would be in the -10 to -80°F range! Let's not even get started talking about de-icing, though I doubt you'll have the problem in SRQ :D

The FBO gig can be a very good way to meet people. I could walk into a gig flying a C560 when I have enough time. Unforunately, I don't want to be a pilot :)

$10-$11 is about fair for an entry level line guy. The shifts posted above are accurate, although I've been used to the 0500-1300,1300-2100,2100-0500 structure.

I think groundpounder is right about the complaining part. However, this is a job first and foremost, and one expects a paycheck from a job. The fun part is secondary. My particular job kicks ass and is a really good one. Just to throw something out for comparison, I made more than any Mesaba FO, and about the equivalent of a SF340 4th year CA at Mesaba.

So what's the best way to go about it? Just walk into one of the FBO's and see what gives?
I looked on the SRQ website but their employment opportunities seemed more focused on the airliner side of the airport, working for TSA, etc..
:)
:beer: <-- no reason - just like that one)
John

the worst are the DC3s and older Convair's where you had to climb up on the wing and pump for what seemed like hours
You ever had to fuel one from drums? Now you're talking a long time. Go Canada.

John2375 said:
So what's the best way to go about it? Just walk into one of the FBO's and see what gives?
I looked on the SRQ website but their employment opportunities seemed more focused on the airliner side of the airport, working for TSA, etc..
:)
:beer: <-- no reason - just like that one)
John

Yup! The websites, IME, aren't up to date enough.

I'm am where I am today because I worked the line @ SRQ. Hard work and great customer service skills go along way in the "who you know" department.

The other guys have it right - it can be a tedious job if you end up working with complainers but it can also be very rewarding. This is the right time of year to run yourself over to Dolphin Aviation and ask to see the line manager. Just tell him straight out your situation and expect to work some weekends. Back when I was there I was always looking to hire a mid shift guy for 10am to about 4 or 5pm to help out during the rush.

If you don't ask - the answer is always NO.

Best of success in your quest.

from smellthejeta
Just to throw something out for comparison, I made more than any Mesaba FO, and about the equivalent of a SF340 4th year CA at Mesaba
If you don't mind working outdoors there is better money at BFI Industries, lol.:rolleyes:

Capthuff said:
I'm am where I am today because I worked the line @ SRQ. Hard work and great customer service skills go along way in the "who you know" department.

The other guys have it right - it can be a tedious job if you end up working with complainers but it can also be very rewarding. This is the right time of year to run yourself over to Dolphin Aviation and ask to see the line manager. Just tell him straight out your situation and expect to work some weekends. Back when I was there I was always looking to hire a mid shift guy for 10am to about 4 or 5pm to help out during the rush.

If you don't ask - the answer is always NO.

Best of success in your quest.

Great - thanks! I will definiltey go over there- my current job keeps me out on weekends so I'm used to it..limousine driving usually 900 miles/weekend, up for 36-48 hours straight (yeah professional drivers are always well-rested! lol)
But during the week there's nothing to do...I'd rather have something steady and in the line of work I'm interested in going into!
Thanks

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back