Woo Hoo!!! My own WWUD thread...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ceo_of_the_sofa

Been instructing for the last two years, have close to IFR 135 mins total and about 25 multi. 'Da SKool has no twins and no plans of ever getting any.

What's the better choice:
Get on with a night freight outfit (insert any of your choosing, as mins are pretty much the same) and after 6-12 months, get on with the flavor of the month regional for XXX years?

OR

Apply with the bottom feeders ( lakes, colgan, etc.) and bust ass for turbine PIC for the next 4 years and try straight for the big boyz????

ceo

You could easily make twice as much (or more) flying freight as you would flying for Lakes or other such scum. Plus it's great experience, and hella fun (most of the time). It's hard work at times, but I don't think you'd regret it. I have never met anyone who has said, "gee, I sure wish I didn't spend X years flying freight."

Good luck with whatever you decide.

If you can find a freight outfit that would put you into turbine equipment right off the bat, it should pay much better than a "bottom feeder" AND you'd get some great turbine PIC time right now. The sched would involve more days per month though, usually, but also less flying time.

I think it boils down to what you prefer. Turbine PIC time is the goal, as you know, so find whatever looks to be the quickest way to get it with liveable pay/schedule and there is your answer. There are positives to both.

Big Duke Six said:
If you can find a freight outfit that would put you into turbine equipment right off the bat, it should pay much better than a "bottom feeder" AND you'd get some great turbine PIC time right now. The sched would involve more days per month though, usually, but also less flying time.

I think it boils down to what you prefer. Turbine PIC time is the goal, as you know, so find whatever looks to be the quickest way to get it with liveable pay/schedule and there is your answer. There are positives to both.

QOL is pretty big, but none of the places have bases where I live (Baltimore) So, ideally, I would want to be able to commute which wont work with freight. That's why Colgan comes to mind. As far as Lakes, with them being in Denver, that's the last resort, because I dont think I could commute that far.

Just food for thought,

One of the CFI's I worked with hired on at Airnet March 04, flew about 1000 PIC in the Baron and is now FO on the Lear. He should be PIC in about another 15 months. Not bad.

Plus he makes about twice what the regionals are paying.

semperfido said:
don't know the answer to your question but that is a classy avatar- one of the best i have seen:)

Since September 2002...I didn't even have my private back then...Wow, my career pretty much developed on Flightinfo.

Regarding upgrade at AirNet, that does sound promising.

I'll second the AirNet comment. I flew there for 1.5 years and it's the best flying I ever did. Flew the Baron, Chieftan, Caravan for 10 months, then the LearJet as an SIC the rest of the time. The people there are great and the MX is excellent. As a fellow collegue once said on these boards, it is like a fraternity. Especially if your run flies through LCK (Columbus) during the city meet at 4:30a.m. They turn about 30-40 airplanes in that meet, so you get to see alot of the pilot group.

Nights are tough and the company is for sale with some instability in the future, but what airline is not? That's why I left. However,they are still profiting. If you need the money, I grossed $42,000 first year flying Baron, Chieftan and Caravan. Base pay is $23,129, but if you get a run with a 5th night, or in my case, work as a reserve pilot and stay on the road alot, you collect travel pay and per diem. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. Mostly everyone at AirNet knows me and used to call me Mr. AirNet since I was always in the loop with the latest info being CMH/LCK based. I've only been gone a month, but still stay in touch with everyone.

Good luck!!

USC328

Last edited:
I keep hearing about those night freight guys...what the hell is up with that?

Latest resources

Back