Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Woman tries to open door during flight...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
She was yanking on the door, and I don't know that much about Boeing jet doors, are you gonna jet let her keep yanking on the door?

You would have just sat there instead of grabbing her? I take back the stretcher part.

Metro752 said:
She was yanking on the door, and I don't know that much about Boeing jet doors, are you gonna jet let her keep yanking on the door?

You would have just sat there instead of grabbing her? I take back the stretcher part.
Think about it...there's three ways this story ends...

If the door is physically impossible to opened by some "little old lady", let the flight crew handle it. She wasn't three Arab men...it was one little old lady. She gets injured, you get sued my man, point this out to the flight attendant and let her/him handle it.

If the door is physically possible to open, your ass is going to look awful funny as it bangs on every sharp corner on the way out the door. But at least if you gain conciousness, you and the old lady might have time to do an impromtu two-way on the way down...I'd suggest you start with a round and then do alternating side bodys, then back to a round. You'll get one point for the exit and one point for each formation you assemble after that. You might as well suck it down, as breaking off and tracking is only good for people smart enough to leave the plane with a rig on.

Wow....maybe women do bring something to the table....
Yes ... dinner. :D

Minh

Metro752 said:

Inflight she is not going to be able to open the door period.

Maybe she was in seat 29E

And maybe the inflight "deli" drove her over the edge. Been close to that myself. Only the fact that I'm usually to drunk to stand straight in the aisle anyway has prevented it.
And,,, she was going from Florida to Washington,,, yup,, that'll do it.

EagleRJ said:
Any pressurization whatsoever would prevent the door from being opened. Most airplanes keep a small differential right up until landing to prevent rapid pressure increases during descent.

KSEA field elevation is 433' ASL. The airplane's cabin was probably close to that already, so it's cabin differential was around two pounds per square inch.

Let's say the main door is six feet high and three feet wide, or 72 inches by 36 inches, for a total of 2592 square inches. At a cabin differential of 2 psi, that works out to a force of 5184 pounds keeping the door closed!

To be fair, most doors have a small flap that opens when the handle is swung, relieving any residual pressure. The door can't be lifted off its mounting lugs though, unless all pressure is relieved, which would mean waiting for the entire cabin to depressurize through the flap.

I thought I read somewhere that a flight attendant was killed when she was sucked out of the airplane and fell to the tarmac just as she was opening the door to evacuate the pax on an airplane that had performed an emergency landing or something. I just don't remember whether she was opening a door or an emergency window . . . I think it was a door.

El Cóndor said:
I thought I read somewhere that a flight attendant was killed when she was sucked out of the airplane and fell to the tarmac just as she was opening the door to evacuate the pax on an airplane that had performed an emergency landing or something. I just don't remember whether she was opening a door or an emergency window . . . I think it was a door.
It was a portal to the other side... :eek:

El Cóndor said:

That happened on an American A-300. The plane had a pressurization problem, and when it landed, the flight attendant opened a door before the crew could release the residual pressure, and was ejected out onto the concrete.

It varies from plane to plane, but on most plug doors, you can lift the door over the mounting dogs with a little residual pressure differential, at which point the door will open forcefully, with the cabin equalizing with the atmosphere through the door. Like I said, some doors have a small flap to relieve this residual pressure, but I guess the A-300 doesn't. Normally, the outflow valve will open after landing to do the same thing, but it wasn't working on that A-300.

FN FAL said:
Haven't you watched Court TV and the other women's cable channels like Lifetime network? Men are evil and if they lift a hand to prevent women from doing something stupid, they shall be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
FN, once again...That's funny. But don't you know there are actually TWO kinds of guys on Lifetime?? The jerk-wife-beating-child-molesting first guy and the Dr-Phil-sensitive-ripped-abs-flannel-wearing NEW guy.

If he were the NEW guy, then he was just trying to protect the passengers.

-J

Latest resources

Back