• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Woman sues Southwest over large passengers policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is it even possible for one person to reserve two seats under one name in advance, on any airline?

Then you'll be reading about lawsuits for airlines charging for the wide seats to people that have disabilities that make them extra-wide. Those diseases include mymouthisopenus, couchpotatoitis, lazyasses, the hereditary cantbeproperparentandsaynototvandmcdsliosis.

To expand on Maria's post a little: I was in the store the other day; gonna buy my Cheerios or Wheaties. A overweight young mother was with her overweight toddler; she got her Coco Puffs (chocolate cereal). That child is doomed to be obese her whole life......

Is it even possible for one person to reserve two seats under one name in advance, on any airline?

Absolutely; people do it all the time on Southwest. Some because they know (and will admit to themselves) that their body takes up more than one seat, and some for other reasons, e.g. they just don't want someone next to them, or they want to put their cello there, etc.

If a COS ("Customer of Size") buys two seats, and then the plane doesn't go out full, then they just get their money back for the second seat since it wasn't needed. If the plane IS full, we keep the money for the second seat, because we would have sold it to someone else.

I think most airlines have similar policies.

Bubba

Do they have the "right" to impose their size on others?

I applaud SWA for having the "cajones" to enforce this policy.

I see the ACLU getting a hold of this one....could get uglier.

Well, that's the way SWA sees it. Most airlines do the exact same thing; we've just made the news several times over it. It seems pretty simple to me: We sell seats on a plane from point A to point B. if you take up two seats, you have to buy two seats. It's the same as a restaurant selling 8-ounce steaks. If you're still hungry and want a second one, you have to buy it; you can't just say I deserve a second one for free because I'm bigger and have a bigger appetite. We (and the restaurant) sell what the average person needs. If you want more, or need more, then you BUY more.

Bubba

Absolutely; people do it all the time on Southwest....
Bubba

Thanks, I had no idea that was possible. I'm not quite up to COS class, but I fill up my seat. Your tickets are cheap enough that I may buy two seats that next time I fly Southwest.

Latest resources

Back