• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"winning the lotto"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then tell us all why wn fo's are worried about delayed upgrades after the sli is out?

they wont be.....we have a great story to tell at Southwest Airlines.

Tell us about the trannies that are worried about ALPA screwing this up for them?

Not having any prior airline experience, can you explain a little bit in detail what you can expect for year one at Southwest. Assume I live in Dallas. Would I be assigned reserve out of OAK ? Would I be traveling to work on my days off ? (thus eating into my 15 days off ?) How easy would that commute be ? Would I be living in a crash pad while on reserve ? How many trips a day could I expect? Do you get paid for just sitting there ? Do you pay for your own meals while sitting reserve ? Any and all details would be appreciated, like I said, I have no airline experience...

It really depends on what kind of growth comes right behind you.

Dallas can be a rough commute, especially to OAK. You won't be able to hold it right away, but Houston is a lot easier to get to and is pretty reasonable if there is any growth (guys in my class had HOU within 2 months).

Reserve days are generally commutable on one end, but you need to look at the specifics of your commute.

Our reserve generally flies, so you probably won't spend much time in the crash pad. Your flying will be where ever scheduling needs a fire put out, so somedays it will be a leisurely 2 or 3 legs and others it will be 6. You'll be doing a lot of dragging your bag between pairings (unlike a lineholder who is more likely to stay with the same aircraft and captain).

You get paid 6.0 TFP if you sit and at least 6.5 if they use you. You pay for your own meals no matter what your status, but you get per diem if they call you out.

Hope that helps

I work for a leagcy, and fly a widebody and hold a decent line. It works for me.

This type of flying isn't everyone's "cup of tea". I don't want 1.0 legs, some do.

Not having any prior airline experience, can you explain a little bit in detail what you can expect for year one at Southwest. Assume I live in Dallas. Would I be assigned reserve out of OAK ? MAYBE Would I be traveling to work on my days off ? MAYBE (thus eating into my 15 days off ?) How easy would that commute be ? SOMETIMES EASY, hard around the holidaysWould I be living in a crash pad while on reserve ? PROBABLY How many trips a day could I expect? Do you get paid for just sitting there ? YES Do you pay for your own meals while sitting reserve ? YES, until getting called out Any and all details would be appreciated, like I said, I have no airline experience...

You may not get your first choice when hired. If not hired at a place u want to stay, then take it, get the experience and keep looking.

When u get to tghe carrier you hope to stay and retire from, if feasible move your family to a pilot base (then hope it doesn't close)

I work for a leagcy, and fly a widebody and hold a decent line. It works for me.

This type of flying isn't everyone's "cup of tea". I don't want 1.0 legs, some do.

Whatever pays the bills.

Latest resources

Back