Wingspan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vicar

Hi, i'm kind of new in R/C modelling of airplanes....so pardon me...

I want to build a plane of my own....working on the plan now
but the problem that puzzles me most now is how you know what's the required wingspan that would provide enough lift to lift the plane and allows it to remain air-borne thoughout... Is there some calculations to be made, etc...?

By the way,
can anyone intro me to any online sites that holds useful information that would help me out with my constructions here...
Anyone willing to be a real life lecturer-helper here as an instructor and a helper contructer...hahaa...is definately welcome.. :D

I've read in books that flying an R/C model too, is more difficult than it seems by sight etc.... Is there a club you guys out there know of in my country(singapore), cause i don't know not of many aviation fans here :(

Help of all sorts are welcome..

Thanks a million, billion, zillion here... Thankz

R/C Flying and Building

Go to the R/C Flying Web Site.... Look specifically at the "Building Tips" and the "Beginner Info" sections, it will help you immensely!

www.BlueMaxRC.com

Don't forget to sign the Guest Book!

Fly Safe!

And remember, R/C Flying isn't as easy as it looks, get an Instructor (R/C Instructor) to help you fly until you are comfortable!

AMA--Academy of Model Aeronuatics.

I am not sure how wide spread they are around the world, but it is worth checking.

They produce a magazine you will recieve and AMA news.

Get a trainer, somethng cheap becuase it is going to crash, they all have a date marked on them to when they will go in, even the ones you work on for 2 years, its just how it is.

I started flying models when I was 14 and had to teach myself how to do it, I went through plenty of airplanes, and that was before the ARF's came out when you had to build them yourself.

It's a great hobby with lots of great people involved, nothing but fun!

Send a private message anytime if I can help.

LR25

Thanks for all your help... especially LR25 for you offer... :D

That prog. was great spence...thanks and thanks to falcon capt for the info on the website... Way cool... :cool:

Thankz

Vicar -

the others here have given you some good advice. A couple of items I might add are to build as light as you can and keep an eye on your battery situation. Light planes will fly so much better, and when you smack it (it will happen, you just have to try and minimize the incidents) it won't be damaged nearly as much.

For battery management, get a voltmeter with a load (resistor) appled and check your batteries between flights. Cycle your batteries occasionally (monthly?). It'll bite you if you don't keep an eye on this. Nowdays they may be using NiMH. Last time I flew, NiCds were popular. These can get a memory and also have a bad characteristic of discharging at an exponential rate.

Like Falcon said, get some help. RC flying is tricky. If you can, find someone with a compatible radio and use a buddy cord for training. It'll save you lots of money, grief and building/repair time. If you are on your own, get something like a three channel, powered sailplane type model (Butterfly?)... good luck.

There is a great RC web fourm located at www.rcuniverse.com Check it out and just ask people there they will be happy to help you out.

So, your first aircraft is going to be one you build from scratch? Perhaps you should try a kit first? I know they sell them there, as I have been to hobby shops in Singapore and Malaysia. Even if they didn't, you can order just about anything on the internet these days. A plane you build yourself will have unusual flying qualities, and you might lose your engine and radio. I would suggest a trainer kit that is designed to fly docile, and not completely destroy itself when you crash.

Good luck to you.

Arigato

Thanks alot for your help...
Those sites were informative indeed and i learned alot from there and here in this post =p

aggiepilot87, You need not worry for i'll keep that in mind. hahha...but i too won't you mind 'biting me' ;) hahhaaa...

thanks again guyz...thanks a million :D

Latest resources

Back