• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tail Gunner Joe

'Winglet' Versus 'Sharklet'
source: http://online.wsj.com/article

Winglets have gotten a major boost from Southwest Airlines Co., which has had them attached to more than 80% of its roughly 550 Boeing 737s. More than 100 airlines currently use them. The devices, which stand eight feet tall on 737s, are manufactured under contract by an Austrian company.

Initially, some Boeing engineers were skeptical that the winglets, which add weight to a plane, would boost performance, according to Mr. Clark and Boeing officials. But in 1999, Aviation Partners showed in test flights that its devices cut fuel burn, and the companies formed their joint venture.

Modern winglets were developed in the 1970s by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, whose research on them is publicly available.

Aviation Partners, which says it improved on earlier designs by rethinking the devices as tall, graceful extensions of a plane's wings, says its blended winglets, which are on about 3,500 Boeing jetliners, cut fuel consumption by 5% to 7%, letting planes fly further. The company says it will "vigorously protect our patented technology."

Anyone remember the "Spiroid Winglets" designed by the same guys about 12 years ago, seemed to make sense to produce lift with the winglet but not sure if it was feasible with airliners because they would have to be so big. Here is a picture on a corporate jet.

http://www.aviationpartners.com/future.html

There is no date anywhere on the page but these have been around along time, I remember them for the Gulfstream A/C first (g-IV)...Anyone ever seen them on an A/C?

Later,
KBB

Not really much of a difference other than Airbus has always called what they had a winglet hence the name change!

Scarebus SUCKS!!!

It's funny. In my observations...they only guys who complain about Airbus are the ones who never have flown them. I'm not talking the older generation A300/310. I have types in both A320 and 737. Both are fine machines. Given the preference, I'll stick to Boeing. However saying Airbus sucks is pure ignorant pilot bravado b.s.

Latest resources

Back