• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mattpilot

Finally! Graphical TFRs!!
WTF is up with this shat?

First time i've seen it was in the CFI test prep. It totally confuses me. Can anyone help me out with how it works and how it would be applied to a "real world situation" ?

thanks ;)

You'll die without that thing!

Are you talkin about the one used for figurin crosswind component?

Um... Nope.... A wing triangle is some fancy-dancy thing where you put some dots on your chart and connect um up... then it's supposed to tell you your drift, groundspeed, when your next BM will occur....

You wanna memory aid?

Just remember that the one going the opposite direction of the aircraft (line C to A) depicted is "wind direction and velocity."

Line C to B is groundspeed and true Course.

Line A to B is true heading and Airspeed.

I didn't even attempt to understand it.

My little memory aid served me very well today...I just got back from the Lasergrade place...AGI-96%, FIA-95%.

The wind triangle or vector analysis is a graphical depiction of the effects of wind on an aircraft as it travels from point A to B. We commonly teach our students to compute things like TH, GS and WCA by using the E6B. We can show them visually in a vector analysis. Although utilizing the wind triangle in flight is certainly not efficient or practical, beginning students sometimes need a visual aid to understand the concept(s). More information on the why, what and how can be found in the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Good Luck.

Regards

On my CFI initial checkride, the DE had me draw one of those things out and teach her how to do it herself. I was like "what?" Never did that one before, or since. I just pulled out my E6B and showed her an easier way and she went into a rant about how us youngins aren't trained to the highest standards of yesteryear or some crap. So then, I pulled out one of the FAA books and proceded to show her how to draw one just to shut her up. Give me a break. She was a crusty old broad, like 70 or something.

Latest resources

Back