Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will you fly NWA during the mech strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hobbes

I was wondering if I can get away with refusing airlines on NWA due to the mechanics strike. It is bad enough that Independence Air is being fined for just skipping inspections altogether, but I don't have a great warm fuzzy about getting on tired old NWA planes being looked at by new kids on the block. I guess if I don't refuse the airline I can always get stuck in traffic or in a long security line which makes me miss every NWA flight they put me on.

I'd rather not say which fractional I am at, but I am interested if others will also try to avoid NWA through the dispute.

Our contract will not allow us to cross a picket line while airlining someplace. I guess I won't be flying NWA anytime soon......Why aren't the NWA pilots honoring their Mechanics' picket line....come on ALPA...speak up.

I think this was addressed on our board....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't have to fly on NWA if there is a strike.

NWA managment already said in an article in USA today that they had MX personell ready to go to work for them. They said most of them are furloughed from other airlines. Talk about crossing the lines?

You've seen the Snickers commercial....."not going anywhere for awhile?"

The AMFA strike at NWA will never end because it is already over. NW management's plan is, was, and always has been to break the most militant union on its property. Mission accomplished. Although there have been some delays, operations are continuing and will only improve as more PERMANENT REPLACEMENT maintenance workers are trained and put in place.

Those of you wondering why ALPA has refused to honor the picket: EASTERN AIRLINES. Some pilots actually read the history of their industry and NWA pilots understand that honoring the AMFA line would lead to the LIQUIDATION of the airline and their employment.

AMFA made two fatal mistakes: 1) They underestimated the resolve of the company management to hammer the union's demands; 2) They thought they weren't replaceable.

Hmmmmmmm, sounds familiar.

"Those of you wondering why ALPA has refused to honor the picket: EASTERN AIRLINES. Some pilots actually read the history of their industry and NWA pilots understand that honoring the AMFA line would lead to the LIQUIDATION of the airline and their employment.

AMFA made two fatal mistakes: 1) They underestimated the resolve of the company management to hammer the union's demands; 2) They thought they weren't replaceable."

3). Another mistake was the machinist at Eastern allowed unskilled workers into their ranks. I think I am correct that a large portion of the machinist union at Eastern were not mechanics. They were baggage handlers (replacable workers). Among the 4200 members of the NWA machinist workers is 600 unskilled custodial workers destined for the unempolyment line. As with most unions,( I was a member of one for 28 years), dues dollars become more important than the service they are trying to provide. Many times the core membership's best interest gets lost in the interest of increasing dues income, alla letting unskilled workers into your ranks. It looks like that is what has played out at NWA also.

Last edited:
I find it disapointing and troubling that the pilots at NWA failed to support the mechanics.

If they cannot find the moral fortitude to tow the line then fine.

I will not fly NWA and support NWA's management who has replaced the contract mechanics there with SCABS.

I will not fly NWA until the strike is over one way or the other.

I'm not a NWA pilot but I would be ashamed of my leadership right now if I were.

P.S. I personally don't care who didn't do what in the past. We all are where we are and it is what it is. Do it right and do it NOW.

Latest resources

Back