Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will you fly NWA during the mech strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What we have here is a disparity on how unions are being run and what good are they for anyways......

You have the AMFA who have already taken massive layoffs and are looking for an additonal 53% or so loss of jobs and a 26% paycut... but the union leadership is all in that 53% of so-called job losses: So why would they ever agree to the agreement????? Result: Wasted dues and time spent on another worthless labor organization.

ALPA: Run by the senior pilots who feel they've all paid their dues so in the end the more junior guys get screwed. While the company withers on the vine without any help from the labor organizations. Result: Wasted dues and time spent on another worthless labor organization.

My point is that unions are passe. They are out of touch, out of date organizations that have become too bueraucratic to become much more than another 2-3% of a drain on your paycheck. Oh sure they will beat their chests when they save someone's job (who really should've been fired anyways) and talk about how important they are. But let's be realistic here: show me what ALPA has done for the current situation? I think all of the gains have been given back, furloughs are now approaching 4 years and ALPA is doing nothing credible to try and fight to get guys back in the cockpit. Let's drop the safety issue. ALPA is all about more money for less work. Sure I love that concept but will it get me to retirement???? Not working so far. My 4 years to junior DC9 captain have turned into 3.5 years on furlough. ALPA's mentality is to scare the pilots into thinking they need ALPA or they would be lost.... there's going to be a new generation of pilot's who are not going to be pro-union and I predict (on a 10-20 year timeline) that this is the begining of the end for ALPA.

Tail

I'm flying from MSP to VNY on August 31st to attend a *special event*.

I wouldn't be caught dead flying on NWA.

imsiknitireduvwaitin

Saddens me that the pilots couldn't see that the real solution to the new reality is to support every Union without regard to what happened in the past. Anyone ever hear of the days of General Strikes? Where all unions supported one another.

Time for the dinosaur mentality to be put out to pasture...Maybe mandatory retirement is a good thing...I know of more than a few really pissed off "young pilots" that aren't afraid of what may happen. Aren't afraid of management etc...

NWA Pilots/ALPA get your crap together and support these guys...It's the right thing to do...

sikntired said:
I'm flying from MSP to VNY on August 31st to attend a *special event*.

I wouldn't be caught dead flying on NWA.

Why? The other unions on property aren't honoring the strike.

This is from the NWA ALPA Hotline:

AMFA STRIKES – ALPA PILOTS TO REPORT TO WORK (8/20/05)
Northwest Airlines’ mechanics, aircraft cleaners, and custodians went on strike at 11:01 p.m. Friday night after AMFA and NWA management negotiators failed to reach agreement on a new contract. Judging it would not be in the best interests of NWA pilots, the NWA MEC determined that NWA pilots would not engage in a sympathy strike. As a result, all NWA pilots should report to work as scheduled and fly their trips as assigned. Again, all NWA pilots should report to work as scheduled and fly their trips as assigned. (A copy of the NWA MEC resolution related to the AMFA strike is attached at the end of this message.)

At this time, no further talks are scheduled between AMFA and NWA management.

PFAA (8/20/05)
In a ballot concluded last night, a majority of NWA flight attendants voted to not authorize the PFAA Executive Board to call a sympathy strike.

IAM (8/20/05)
The IAM determined that a sympathy strike would not be in its members’ best interests and advised them to report for their regularly scheduled shifts.

EXTRA VIGILANCE RECOMMENDED (8/20/05)
Please be extra vigilant when performing your duties. Make sure you have the correct aircraft logbooks and that all aircraft and flight paperwork is properly completed and up to date. Remember that line checks are valid until 0600Z of the eighth UTC day, including the day of the check. Information on time-limited MELs and CDLs can be found on page 15 of the MEL introduction. Carefully consider all factors if accepting an aircraft with multiple MELs. All aspects of our operation are subject to increased FAA scrutiny, so make sure you have all required documents, equipment, and up-to-date manuals in your possession. Please report any unusual activity or any safety or security problems to the ALPA Safety Operation Center (800-NWA-ALPA ext. 374).

ADDITIONAL MEL NOTE (8/20/05)
ALPA has determined there may be an increased chance your flight release may not reflect all outstanding MEC/CDL items as recorded in the aircraft logbooks. Please make a special effort to crosscheck to make sure MEC/CDL items in the aircraft logbooks are reflected on your release as required by FOM 5.30.

ADDITIONAL ID NOTE (8/20/05)
NWA has posted a bulletin on the ATLAS website explaining and illustrating which NWA identification badges are currently valid. If you encounter an individual on your aircraft you believe does not have a valid ID badge, contact security and have them check to ensure that individual is authorized to have access to your aircraft.

ASOC UPDATE (8/20/05)
The ASOC has fielded relatively few calls from pilots with safety and security concerns. However, ASOC personnel will be available 24 hours a day until further notice.

SECURITY/SAFETY CONCERNS WHEN REPORTING TO WORK (8/20/05)
Northwest Airlines is responsible for ensuring your safety when you report to work. If you have concerns about your personal safety or security, you must contact your chief pilot and explain the situation and your concerns. After you talk to your chief pilot, please call the ASOC to inform ALPA of the situation.

INDIVIDUAL SYMPATHY STRIKE QUESTION (8/20/05)
A pilot who refuses to cross AMFA picket lines to report to work may suffer consequences. There is a risk the company will take disciplinary action or discharge a pilot who engages in this activity. There is also a risk the company might treat a pilot who engages in this activity as joining in the AMFA strike, with his right to return to work governed by legal doctrines for striking employees. If this occurs, challenges by ALPA and/or the pilot to the company's action would ultimately be decided in legal proceedings. Pilots contemplating individually withholding their services should call the ALPA Safety Operations Center (800-NWA-ALPA, ext. 374) beforehand to obtain further guidance.

*** This marks the end of today's Hotline. Until next time, fly safe, fly the contract and remember that over 500 Northwest pilots are still on furlough.

GV

So whenever one union strikes, all other unions must automatically support it, at any cost, and no matter how reckless their demands may be? All in the name of "unity"? Sorry, that bizarre sheep mentality is lost on me.

flexlrpilot357 said:
So whenever one union strikes, all other unions must automatically support it, at any cost, and no matter how reckless their demands may be? All in the name of "unity"? Sorry, that bizarre sheep mentality is lost on me.

I think you missed the irony in GV's post.

Muddy

Flylow:

I find it disapointing and troubling that the pilots at NWA failed to support the mechanics.

If they cannot find the moral fortitude to tow the line then fine.

In recurrent with a furloughed NWA instructor. He said this was a lose lose situation.

ALPA did not support this because the mechanics did not support the pilots strike and later concessions.

This was a "pay back", his terms not mine. Listening to him brought it a little more in focus.

Lose Lose?

ALPA is not supporting it because they know if they do, it would be a definate trip down bankruptcy lane. ALPA is using some rare common sense in this one.

of course, since this is the fractional folder, I was kind of asking fractional pilots whether or not they would accept NWA airlines to/from work. thanks.

Latest resources

Back