Votes: 43 64.2%
  • NO

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Not the majors

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters
Sounds like you have a good attitude. Your attitude will get you a job once you have an interview and your attitude about the accident can even impress the interviewer to the point that it becomes a positive thing. The accident will most likely be one of the first things talked about in an interview and will be a great ice-breaker. You might write an article or give a lecture just to be able to show how important it is to you to spread what you learned to other pilots. Keep trucking.

PM me for a good lawyer. I used him and so have two friends of mine and we have beat them 3 times. He used to work for the FAA< and he knows their tricks.

Don't worry too much about it. I have had three of my friends cause accidents while instructing. One fully demolished a plane by letting his student get too slow on final, survived and was hired with ACA two months later. Another demolished the engine of a decatholon TWICE by not doing the run up correctly (tail into the wind and prop striking) leading to a full investigation by the FAA. Four months later interviewed with PDT and they chuckled about it during the interview. They told him that after two accidents he must be one of the safest pilots out there now. They also told him to get his ass to Salisbury for training at the end of the month. So in my words, don't worry too much about getting hired. Be up front about it, tell them you learned SO MUCH from it and enjoy training!

Keep Plugging John!

Judging from your posts and how you articulate your position, I feel that you stand a good chance at a future in professional aviation.

Most Airline interviewers are people of considerable experience and share a mature view of "Life's Experiences". They understand that very few people go through life without a few bumps and bruises. What they seem most interested in, is in how a person has handled themselves from that point forward. I feel that they actively seek people who have the personality to persevere even under adverse conditions.

Additionally, I think that many people would have given up flying after a similar experience. My hat is off to you in your courage. Have you sought out some help to deal with the obvious trauma this accident must have caused you?

Keep the faith John and keep pressing to obtain your dream, you can do it and will feel good about it when you make it.

Well said AirDoc!
This should not automatically reject you Hucklebery.
I am sure many others involved with selection will give you a chance to present yourself through and interview. Once you are at the interview most of us would look at the big picture and not get tunnel vision on one single experience.
Majors have selected numerous excellent pilots who have been involved in accidents.

Just don't give up - because one day you can encourage some other unfortunate pilot and tell how you made it.

80/20

Last edited:
Your lawyer should argue that the regulation does not absolutely require you to see and avoid but to "use vigilance so as to see and avoid." In order to prove a violation they must show you weren't vigilant. AIM says spend about 70% of your time scanning. Were you?

I'll weigh in on this...I personally know and have flown with a pilot who is now a Captain at an up and coming and well run outfit who experienced a revocation enforcement of ALL pilot certificates and ratings (how's that for refresher training?) as a result of taking off a Lear Jet out of annual or something like that. Although irrelevant to your question, this pilot happens to be one of the best technical flyers I've ever had the privilege to aviate with. That said, my answer to your question is a resounding "of course", however, one must remember the state of the industry and keep things in perspective. Now, I believe it is a one mistake industry as it is a "buyer's market."

That is all...

I talked w a buddy of mine in the vny FAA office about your situation-he said-if the the local sends you a loi-letter of investigation- be nice and write in response that you have obtained a attorney regarding your sit and all further inquires shall be addressed to so and so- then mail it back to them-95% percent of faa violations come from honest pilots spilling there guts out to the faa -if you retain an attorney-and im speaking from experience now, they will leave you alone due to the fact that they dont have the funding to go after you. its been three years since the feds came after me-havent heard a thing, my atty said thats the way it works-and since all you get is a loi there is no violation in your record so no employer can find out about it unless you tell them

better yet have your atorney send out the response on his letterhead.
basically it should say that "we have recieved your letter and if we can be of any help please let us know."

speaking from experinece here.

do not engage with an FAA inspector on the phone or via mail. His job is to violate you and if you wish to "help him out" just realize what you are helping him to do.

be careful out there

The airlines hire pilots with experience. This is why they hire pilots with lots of time... the time does not mean you are a better pilot... it means you have been thrown into many situations and have survived. Thats experience will help you survive in the future. You obviously have had an experience that I stronly believe the airlines would appreciate rather than look down on, although it all depends on your attitude toward the accident. If you say there is nothing you could have done then sorry... you won't get hired. If you express what you have learned and what you do differently now, then you are golden. The chances of you having another mid air has been greatly diminished due to your experience and the airlines would consider that an asset.

Latest resources

Back