Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jobear

Titanium Necked Bandit
I know all the regionals are all talking about getting rid of the T-props, but I just cant see an C/E/FRJ going into some of the smALL airports we service how long of a runway do you guys/gals need? I know just on the Beech we take some monster hits for Ice any thoughts?

Tired of seeing basher threads....................

Jobear

The CRJ has problems with runways of around 6000 feet or less, especially on takeoff. Introduce any kind of contamination(snow, ice, standing water, etc) and it's a big weight hit. We need leading-edge devices, that would help.

'
I know just on the Beech we take some monster hits for Ice any thoughts

What monster hits are you talking about? I've been flying these things in some of the worst icing in the country, and can't recall much of a problem in any of our airports.

Try flying in the UP of Michigan(JK). I am sorry I ment weight hits for runways but I believe everyone takes those penalties.

Jobear

There will always be markets for turbo props that CRJ's cannot accommodate due to restrictions in performance, weight and profitability.

But personally IMHO, I see the sun setting on the 1900 specifically due to enhanced security requirements such as the reinforced cockpit door (2 seats have to be removed to install it and adds weight to an already heavy bird with the new passenger weight and bag requirements) and a few of the avionics upgrades mandated by the FAA.

To me the cockpit door requirement is suicide. God forbid in an accident happens and that stupid thing jams and traps the pilots in the cockpit. Theres no other way out of that thing. Hell we don't even have a crash axe.

Sooner or later the 1900's will be freight haulers, IMHO.

Last edited:
The loss of service to communities that can not support RJ's has been talked about a lot. Skip Barnett, President of ASA said he believes someone will probably start an operation catering to cities like Wichita Falls, Lawton, Kileen, etc...

B190

Unless the FAA changed policy, the reinforced cockpit doors are not required on 19 seat airplanes.. Did they change this?

chperplt said:
B190

Unless the FAA changed policy, the reinforced cockpit doors are not required on 19 seat airplanes.. Did they change this?

From what I understand and have heard, the FAA has been granting us extensions for the door but no exemption has been officially issued. I am not 100% sure though. But I will find out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back