Will EJA and EJI Merge Operations?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

I have heard that Bill Bosture, former head of Gulfstream, has joined EJA and that he is "cleaning house." What is the likelihood that EJA and EJI would be merged into one operation? Why wouldn't they given the potential operational synergies?

How would EJA and EJI pilots respond to this if it happened? Any opinions from EJA and EJI pilots?

sigh..... Get ready for a debate. It's like kicking a hornets nest.

My vote. Stay in seat till the last G wiz guy is upgraded in his plane. Otherwise staple to the bottom with if they want to upgrade out of plane it's what their stapled number holds.

I believe this is most fare. Most G whiz boys don't want to move out of their G plane.

being near the top of the netjets list it wouldn't affect me - however, the only fair way to do it is to staple eji to the bottom of the list. so many eja guys left for eji for whatever reason, however, they can't just come back to where they were. maybe some sort of "grandfather" clause allowing to stay in their light twin for a year or so, then must bid whatever their number holds.

It's ridiculous to keep them apart. What benefit is it to the company to have separate pilots groups and separate staffs dedicated to EJI? Flight Options doesn't separate its pilot groups by aircraft type - I realize that the separation was instigated by Gulfstream and Ted Forstmann when EJI was set up (didn't want union on the property). Now that Boisture is in, there is no reason to keep them separate any more - that just adds to the cost...

My opinion with regard to the pilots: allow them to stay on the Gulfstream if they want (don't kick them off of the plane if they have been typed), but incorporate a DOH formula for anyone who wants to jump off the Gulfstream. Some EJI FOs might want fewer long-haul flights and flying a Beechjet or Excel as Captain might be more appealing to them... Regardless, the pilot lists need to be merged. Personally, if I were an EJA pilot, I'd want to fly a Gulftstream 550 some time in my career...

That's my $0.2

Otherwise staple to the bottom with if they want to upgrade out of plane it's what their stapled number holds.

I don't know why anybody ever bothers to ask a question like this..the above answer is ALWAYS the one you will get from the EJA pilots. It's a given. They're looking out for their own careers first. I can't blame them. I can't say I agree with their canned answer, but I can't blame them for it.

If/when it happens, it will be messy, and there will forever be animosity in the ranks. Not everybody, but some people.

Griz said:
I think the merge is eventually going to happen whether NetJets wants it to or not. I'm fairly sure that our group of pilots is going to demand that non-union pilots are not allowed to fly our planes or customers.

As to the exact nature of the seniority lists, it would probably head to arbitration to get resolved. As far as I'm concerned, those guys have refused to join the union so they can be stapled to the bottom.

I was just wondering how you figure they are YOUR airplanes, since you never operated them, and since Gulfstream owners purchased shares in them specifically because they are Gulfstreams, how are they YOUR customers? I do love the part you wrote about "those guys have refused to join the union". Why on earth would they want to???......they might have to take pay cuts down to the union pay scales "enjoyed" at NJA.

Is there any logic behind your post, or are you just play-acting the part of a bitter union thug who figures he can vote himself into a G-lV rating or punish those who don't drink the same kool-aid? He11 man, your tone is positively Bolshevik ("Those who refuse to join zee Party shall be sent to zee List Bottom Gulag!")

I swear you guys crack me up!

bizjet737 said:
being near the top of the netjets list it wouldn't affect me - however, the only fair way to do it is to staple eji to the bottom of the list. so many eja guys left for eji for whatever reason, however, they can't just come back to where they were. maybe some sort of "grandfather" clause allowing to stay in their light twin for a year or so, then must bid whatever their number holds.

If they do merge, I think the old EJI guys who already had G-lV type ratings and time-in-type when they got hired off the street should get higher seniority than any now-near-to-the-top EJA guys who PFTed when they bought their jobs at EJA and now pretend that never happened.

What do you think Mr. Heavy Iron?

CatYaaak said:
If they do merge, I think the old EJI guys who already had G-lV type ratings and time-in-type when they got hired off the street should get higher seniority than any now-near-to-the-top EJA guys who PFTed when they bought their jobs at EJA and now pretend that never happened.

What do you think Mr. Heavy Iron?

it doesn't really matter to me how long anyone flying the light-twins at eji have been there, i've been here double. the guys at netjets who are "senior" in doh to the most "senior" guy at eji didn't PFT.

Griz said:
Pretty simple. They are customers of NetJets. What part of that don't you understand? Maybe if I say it slowly for the learning impared - N E T J E T S ... A B E R K S H I R E H A T H A W A Y C O M P A N Y

Yes, they're customers of NetJets International. What part of I N T E R N A T I O N A L don't you understand? Are you inferring they somehow stole "your" flying...flying ownders you never did in aircraft you never operated?

I don't blame them either. Did I say somewhere in my post that I don't understand their motives? I do expect them to lie in the bed they've made for themselves.

Sounds to me like you're the one having trouble lying in the bed you made for yourself.

They chose to work as non-union employees at a company with a large union presence understanding that someday that might bite them in the ass. Once that day comes, they'll have no sympathy from me.

Well there was never any union presense at EJI/NJI, and there's no doubt you've certainly become a banner-waver for yours. But from your above sentence it's clear that even you aknowledge bringing your union in there would be detrimental to that pilot group ("bite them in the ass"). Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the union Party Line claim that being unionized will improve a workers lot? If it's so great, why haven't they demanded representation? Or perhaps you consider pilots at NJI to be some kind of "psuedo-scabs", and therefore deserving of punishment (stapled to the bottom) even though they worked a deal better than yours. If that's the case and you have nothing better to offer, then your attitude boils down to nothing more than union-thug pettiness.

Of course you're certainly entitled to your opinion, just like I'm entitled to mine regarding pilots who promote low-pay/PFT/training contracts in the business jet world by going to work for companies that have them (btw, do you still have to pay for your own housing during initial over there?), and then attempt to drape a mantle of I'm-raising-the-bar-Righteousness around themselves by virtue of a union card issued later. That's like a herd of zebras spray-painting each other dark brown and trying to pass themselves off as potential Kentucky Derby-winning thoroughbreds (no doubt within the confines of their own zoo they'll convince each other of this) After all, a street-walker who specializes in dressing up like a nun at work is still a whore, even after she begins to delude herself she really is one, and seedy by-the-hour motels are convents.

So I certainly don't doubt your No-sympathy attitude to those who don't view the world through your union-prizm. Not one bit. In fact it's entirely predictable. After all, it's an oft-repeated story; Workers of the World unite but find they can't improve their own lot quickly enough, so they end up looking for others they can drag down to their level or lower. It's a Borg thing with no upside for those you seek to absorb, so please excuse me if I don't salute your efforts to expand yourself.

You seem to infer a lot about my motives. Incorrectly I might add. I have no desire to fly the G-Whiz. In 20 years in the military, I got more than enough international flying to satisfy me. I'm more concerned about how much time off I get than in what piece of aluminum I sit in.
Well, with that 20-year retirement supplementing your income no wonder training contracts and flying business jets for such low pay isn't your concern, nor unique over where you work. But your stated concern... "time off"... is ultimately a function of seniority at NJA, is it not? How nice for you then, if your number suddenly rose by merging the groups and stapling them to the bottom thus giving you more options. Why Comrade, that could be interpreted as bourgois "Looking out for No 1" thoughts instead of putting Party first.

Nice post though...hope it didn't take too long to cough up. [/B]

Latest resources

Back