Will Delta pilots destroy the airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rumpletumbler

Obviously in Atlanta this has been on the news quite a bit and I'm curious to hear from someone in the know. I understand wanting to be paid a fair wage etc. but if you know they will go under if you don't take a pay cut is that like your pay back or what? I'm not slamming Delta pilots and am very ignorant on the whole situation. I'm just curious if the plan is to nuke em if they don't come up with what you want. That sounds stupid to me.

Common reaction from a CFI. Been there done that.

Once you get to the big leagues your perspective might change a little. The easiest thing in the world to do is blame pilots salaries for the company's mismanagement. Why not? Pilot salaries are the highest below airline executive pay. Sure blame the pilots. Add to that that the other employee groups who get a couple days off a week hate that we have 15-19 days off.

Pilot pay is not the reason Delta or any other carrier is in the condition they are right now.

The question people (and passengers) should ask is whether they want their pilots flying angry and preoccupied or focused. Face it, if a flight attendant has their mind on financial matters what's the worse that can happen? She spills a coke?

Think of it this way, would you want to go under the knife when your surgeon is tired, cranky, po'd, and discontent? Doubtful.

Delta is the reason Delta is in the shape their in, not Delta pilots.

Granted, the pilots may have to fly more and/or take up the slack, but their pay is not the reason management has screwed everything up.

rumpletumbler said:
Obviously in Atlanta this has been on the news quite a bit and I'm curious to hear from someone in the know. I understand wanting to be paid a fair wage etc. but if you know they will go under if you don't take a pay cut is that like your pay back or what? I'm not slamming Delta pilots and am very ignorant on the whole situation. I'm just curious if the plan is to nuke em if they don't come up with what you want. That sounds stupid to me.
Seriously, your title needs a lot of work. Are you an airline manager by any chance? Why is it that everyone blames the pilots for all of DAL's problems? What about the HUGE DEBT BURDEN created by former management? What about the MD-11s sitting in the desert costing DAL $15K per day each - just sitting there? What about the RJ debt and overall glut of RJs at Delta? Sure, that must be the pilots' fault... The pilots have probably hired hundreds of consultants, lawyers and economists to analyze Delta's books and to assess the situation - they aren't just taking a stance without understanding the true economic picture.

You say "I am very ignorant on the whole situation." Well, you are proving it.

I thought that by my saying I was ignorant of it....that in itself would be self-explanatory. I'm merely saying....this is what I hear on the news....what is the scoop? Of course the news is wrong on just about everything. I'm not blaming anyone. I like to become educated on things I don't know about. Don't take it personally...I don't mean it that way.

RVR300 said:
Pilot pay is not the reason Delta or any other carrier is in the condition they are right now.
I posted this yesterday at the end of a dead thread. Here's my question...isn't it true that for a range of reasons we're in an overcapacity situation; too many carriers chasing too few customers? If more people aren't going to start flying again, doesn't somebody have to eventually go away so that the survivors have a chance of regaining some semblance of financial health?

No one wants to see a working man suffer after losing their job or pension, but in business we know that there are winners and losers and going out of business is a part of losing. An important part. If the failing business is allowed to hang around indefinitely while being artifically propped up even as it continues to hemorrage, it seems like everyone is worse off as a result.

I know I'm being simplistic here, but why wouldn't it make good sense to let the market forces do their thing and pick off the lame, the weak, and the crippled without these repeated Chapter 11s that haven't stopped the bleeding?

Why struggle unsuccessfully attempting to keep seven major airlines afloat when, if two or three were allowed to go bankrupt and shut down it might mean regaining financial health for the legacy survivors?

I understand the tragedy for the workers of the failing companies. I've been a part of one. But since almost all of the legacy carriers are in serious trouble, why can't the least profitable/competitive among them be allowed to die a natural death and in so doing save the jobs and futures of the survivors which have been placed at risk?

BECAUSE, THAT'S WHY !!

By God, we are entitled to our jobs. If I decide that I want to be an airline pilot and make a high salary, it should be mine - no questions asked. I should not be subjected to the market forces of supply and demand...... I have no option to go out into the market and find other employment should my wish of being an airline pilot not appear to be advantageous, stable, or worth the effort. I have no ability to size up the situation and realize that so long as someone is willing to work for what someone else is willing to pay, then that and that alone is what defines the term "what the job is worth". I am immune to any and all of these realities that every worker in every other field of employment is subject to and seems to understand.

......... flame away - I'm just poking fun!

Birdstrike said:
Why struggle unsuccessfully attempting to keep seven major airlines afloat when, if two or three were allowed to go bankrupt and shut down it might mean regaining financial health for the legacy survivors?

I understand the tragedy for the workers of the failing companies. I've been a part of one. But since almost all of the legacy carriers are in serious trouble, why can't the least profitable/competitive among them be allowed to die a natural death and in so doing save the jobs and futures of the survivors which have been placed at risk?
You can be sure if two or three legacy carriers went out of business, the LCC's as well as new start ups would once again start flooding the market with more seat miles. AT some point, there would be too much capacity and prices would be flat.

The Delta pilot group has my respect. They have been saying all along that they would take a pay cut if management also took a pay cut with them. Only seems fair to me.

Pilots did not destroy airline. Leo and his retention bonuses did. They are cooperating and showing good faith just by showing up at the table. I don't blame them one bit. Some of you people need to get a clue, they are not only protecting their careers, they are protecting the profession. I'm sure a deal is in the works, but I'm glad they didn't just take whatever mgmt. asked for and called it a day. They might not be the nicest group of guys around, but they are professional. They sure as heill do a better job getting me to work than my own airline.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back