Will Delta pilots destroy the airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RVR300 said:
Common reaction from a CFI. Been there done that.
The question people (and passengers) should ask is whether they want their pilots flying angry and preoccupied or focused. Face it, if a flight attendant has their mind on financial matters what's the worse that can happen? She spills a coke?

Think of it this way, would you want to go under the knife when your surgeon is tired, cranky, po'd, and discontent? Doubtful.
Something tells me passengers aren't going to relate to a pilot's bad attitude when he's still making six figures, even after hefty pay cuts. Besides, nobody is forcing people to become pilots. If you can't do your job with a reasonably positive attitude, you don't need more money (esp. when you're pulling in 6 figures and competition for your job is fierce), you need to get the hell out before you end up hurting someone.

Oh, and if you've ever worked in a medical field, you'd know that practically all surgeons ARE tired, cranky, PO'd and discontented when performing their duties. You show me a happy surgeon and I'll show you a great actor.

Publishers said:

Let's see-- that leaves 2 things-- labor cost and ticket revenues.

The only way out is to sell more tickets at higher prices and or reduce one big expense -- payroll. And who is the most expensive part of payroll,,,,,,, ah, ah, Oh yeah, pilots.
The largest part of labor costs are actually the non contract employees. Delta pilots make up about 1/3 of DAL labor costs the rest are non contract employees. You also failed to address DAL management sinking $2.3B into a stock buy back deal which did nothing to improve customer service, improve aircraft interiors, reduce Delta debt etc. Just another poor mangement decision. Also, fuel hedging is not a lottery, it is a management decision. DAL management chose poorly and it has now cost DAL over $600M this year in additional costs. If you read DAL's latest quarterly report you'll see that revenues are up and fuel nuetralized CASM is down, but when you factor in the decision of a feeble minded old man to sell the fuel hedge, despite a war in the Middle East and political uncertainty and coup attempts in Venezuela ( a major exporter of crude oil) DAL's CASM skyrocketed. Two major screw ups by Mr Grinstein are the selling of the DAL fuel hedge which has cost us over $600M this year in order to make a voluntary contribution to the non contract employees pension fund of over $300M. Those two decisions have cost DAL nearly $1B in cash liquidity in his first year at DAL as CEO, which also happens to be how much DAL's cash position has deteriorated this year. Unquestionably the most expensive item in DAL's ledger this year has been the poor management of the company by our crack management team.

The key here is that management doesn't have to be around for many years---they only have to be around long enough to get credit for a supposed pension (Leo got credit for 30 years, even though he was here for six), and then he took his exit money (negotiated in his contract---which Delta surely cannot break---only pilot contracts can they change......) and went off to Nantucket to build a dream mansion. (he also got free 1st class travel privileges for life for his family---yeah, I would like to see him on my plane.....)

We WANT TO BE HERE for a long time. (knock on wood) We have been saddled with this problem, and we will have to try to fix it. That is the deal unfortunately.

Bye Bye--General Lee

rumpletumbler said:
I just started it this morning. :)
My bad, I was avoiding some string, probably the majors vs beliefs. Besided's, I'm on reserve, one day seems like three.

enigma

"Oh, and if you've ever worked in a medical field, you'd know that practically all surgeons ARE tired, cranky, PO'd and discontented when performing their duties. You show me a happy surgeon and I'll show you a great actor."

A "tired, cranky, PO'd surgeon" can only kill ONE person at a time...and they NEVER have to pee in a cup!!

rightrudder said:
You can be sure if two or three legacy carriers went out of business, the LCC's as well as new start ups would once again start flooding the market with more seat miles..
Apparently, our village has a new idiot. LCC's do not "flood the marketplace", they bring down the average ticket price. The Legacy carrier's response has been to add a ton of capacity, trying to keep people off the LCC airplanes, so if you really want to blame someone for "flooding the market" put the blame where it belongs.

AirTran is Delta's main competition at ATL, and we only have about 180 flights a day, on SNB aircraft, to a whopping 42 cities. Hardly "flooding the market".

Get your facts straight before you post junk.

enigma said:
Delta could stem the increase in its debt and pay off existing debt if it can cut other expenses, like pilot costs, said Joel Denney, an analyst for Piper Jaffray & Co. in Minneapolis.
End

The last paragraph pretty well sums up the general attitude, and frustrates me to no end. The writer spends the whole article, detailing problems which have nothing to do with pilot wages, but ends up with the conclusion that cutting pilot costs is the solution. Dirty barsards.

enigma
Jeeez, your are starting to sound like a Democrat. The next thing you know you will think that pilots have a right to collective bargining.

Heretic.

FDJ2 said:
Those two decisions have cost DAL nearly $1B in cash liquidity in his first year at DAL as CEO, which also happens to be how much DAL's cash position has deteriorated this year. Unquestionably the most expensive item in DAL's ledger this year has been the poor management of the company by our crack management team.
So what? DL has an extra billlion dollars in liquidity...what good would it do? Instead of filling for Ch 11 in November 04, DL would instead file in March 05.

If DALPA knew DL had an extra billion, do you think they would be offering any meaningful concessions? Of course not. You and I both know that DALPA won't offer meaningful concessions until the company is run into the ground. So, DL management is doing exactly what DALPA wants.

You can throw in or out lots of items, but the bottomline is that DL is not operationally profitable.

That is really the point, the patient is sick. There are really few things that it can deal with out of 11. Everyone assumed that it would always grow bigger, faster, more, forever and the market would never leave them.

Like I said, a small company this sick goes out of business leaving all the employees, suppliers, and customers out to lunch. Instead of bitching about management, adopt the position of my company failed. We are working on what the new company will be like.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back