Will Continental Follow Suit???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywdriver

U.S. Airways recalling, Delta hiring, will Continental follow suit?

Every earnings call/release has talked about "capacity contraint" as none of the analysts want to hear an exec say they have material growth plans.

It should be really interesting to see what CAL has to say about this as we are taking delivery of 13 airplanes this year and even more next year. Is there going to be some surprise announcement to park more 500's or are they going to buck the trend and grow the fleet.

Also, any more information on the 787 delays?

I want my job back on the next bid, but not holding my breath. All rumors point to recall, coming from the union, staffing managers, etc. I will only believe it when I see it.

Bid Notification in COAIR says bid in mid AUG. Doesn't have any info other than this bid will reflect retirements through JUL 11 and adjust for deliveries and exits not covered on the last bid.

Now rumors are for all furloughs recalled and the need for 200+ pilots to be hired. This came from line check last week and both IAH and EWR CPO.

Bid Notification in COAIR says bid in mid AUG. Doesn't have any info other than this bid will reflect retirements through JUL 11 and adjust for deliveries and exits not covered on the last bid.

Now rumors are for all furloughs recalled and the need for 200+ pilots to be hired. This came from line check last week and both IAH and EWR CPO.

Well I'm sure that there will be plenty of regional pilots lined up for the chance to sell their souls to a company that treats them like crap for a year or so and possibly furough them within 12 months. This industry is full of pilots that don't remember what happened on the last hiring spree and that have ego to big to keep them from saying "no" to the chance to fly for "main line" and a "big jet." Many probably won't even consider the fall-out from the possibility of a merger.

There is no way that they would start hiring now, is there...?

PtP

Well I'm sure that there will be plenty of regional pilots lined up for the chance to sell their souls to a company that treats them like crap for a year or so and possibly furough them within 12 months. This industry is full of pilots that don't remember what happened on the last hiring spree and that have ego to big to keep them from saying "no" to the chance to fly for "main line" and a "big jet." Many probably won't even consider the fall-out from the possibility of a merger.

There is no way that they would start hiring now, is there...?

PtP

so true

part of the agreement will be to recall ual pilots. just heard that one from mgmt.

What "agreement" are you referring to? There is no agreement with CALALPA regarding this that has been made available to the membership nor has such an agreement even been acknowledged as having been sought.

I've heard that the idea of offering new hire slots (should they even exist, unknown at this point) to furloughed UAL pilots has been discussed but I've seen nothing that would indicate agreement on how that would take place and where those pilots would be placed on the SLI.

There are several reasons why the membership may oppose this. I think it's certainly doable but I don't think it's assured at this point.

What "agreement" are you referring to? There is no agreement with CALALPA regarding this that has been made available to the membership nor has such an agreement even been acknowledged as having been sought.

I've heard that the idea of offering new hire slots (should they even exist, unknown at this point) to furloughed UAL pilots has been discussed but I've seen nothing that would indicate agreement on how that would take place and where those pilots would be placed on the SLI.

There are several reasons why the membership may oppose this. I think it's certainly doable but I don't think it's assured at this point.

This should only be done if it doens't harm any pilot on the CAL list, including us furloughs who would probably be affected the most. Either you take a job a few years early and roll the dice as a CAL pilot, or you don't take a job and roll the dice as a UAL pilot, can't have the best of both worlds.

Interesting in our conference call that Jeff talked about "capactity restraint" just like all the others. I wonder how this will translate in a couple of weeks when the bid comes out?

Any word on retirements come November?

Latest resources

Back