• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will ATA (MatlinPatterson) buy SWA??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You realize that statement was made by an author of a book about Southwest, NOT a person who has a real affiliation with Southwest, right?

In other words, I wouldn't point to that person's statement as being a possible indicator of layoffs. That's really nothing more than Jody Hoffer Gittell sharing her outsider's view. Not exactly what I would call a credible course of inside information.

Of course, nothing is ever guaranteed in this industry. But if I were looking for an early indicator of layoffs, it wouldn't be Jody Hoffer Gittell than I ran to for information.

Layoff's

We are running what..68 employees per airplane? EVERY dept. is undermanned. Just who's going to run the place if they lay anybody off???
Don't think so

True. Since 2000, our fleet has grown over 40%. Or total employee growth only gew 11% over the same time period.

Additionally, the only reason there have been no layoffs is the result of the unions offering to take cuts to keep folks on the payroll, SWA DID NOT keep folks off the streets, the unions did.

Will ATA offer preferential interviews to the SWA guys?
*snicker*

I'm surprised that didn't elicit at LEAST one or two comments... ;)

I personally don't believe even $10B would be enough to buy SWA. Plus, historically, buying an airline is a pretty foolish way to try to make money. You'd have to be pretty ballsy (or just inanely stupid) to think you could run SWA any better than it's currently being run.

Waiting for the "big" announcement...

I personally don't believe even $10B would be enough to buy SWA. Plus, historically, buying an airline is a pretty foolish way to try to make money. You'd have to be pretty ballsy (or just inanely stupid) to think you could run SWA any better than it's currently being run.

Matlin Patterson has done it before---ATA, World/North American.

But SWA would be a huge fish to land. The runup in the shares would probably make SWA prohibitively expensive. Not ideal for a "vulture" fund.

My personal opinion is the $5 Bil raised will be waiting for a buying opportunity in the future. Maybe UAL??

Additionally, the only reason there have been no layoffs is the result of the unions offering to take cuts to keep folks on the payroll, SWA DID NOT keep folks off the streets, the unions did.

And another right wing, former military fighter pilot gets pulled slightly to the left....:D

Not pokin' fun at you--I'm WITH you. Watching the greed of the execs at places like AMR and NWA will make you sick.

Record June 2007 LF!!!!!

Lear70;1360152 You'd have to be pretty ballsy (or just inanely stupid) to think you could run SWA any better than it's currently being run. Waiting for the "big" announcement...[/quote said:
Well...it can certainly be improved! Look at how US Air improved both Piedmont and PSA :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back