Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will ASA raise their mins now that OO owns them?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

viper548

What do you think? 1000/100 for ASA and toss all the Bridge programs, etc. to get their hiring in line with SkyWest?

Yup, because another 400 hrs. of steep turns, slow flight, stalls, practice approaches and Vmc demos is just what the doctor ordered to survive airline indoc. and sim training........sheeesh!

pilotkppsg said:
Yup, because another 400 hrs. of steep turns, slow flight, stalls, practice approaches and Vmc demos is just what the doctor ordered to survive airline indoc. and sim training........sheeesh!
Damm right...now get back to work.

pilotkppsg said:
Good point! Why have a minimum hour requirement at all!? Commercial multi should be the only mins. Nobody ever learned anything from instructing anyway. Experience?!Useless!!:rolleyes:

Hey...Let's just hire right out of high school. High school graduates know everything anyway, we'd have less to teach them. Give them a few hours on MSFS and they'd be good to go...

pilotkppsg said:
Actually, yes.... Because there is more than indoc and sim training - you have to fly the line.

Some of ASA's recent really low time guys struggle with very basic tasks on line. For example, making CTAF calls while running checklists. As a junior pilot, you are not flying into CVG at noon very often. More likely your first year will have trips to east podunk at 00:30 with a 05:30 departure. Often the tower isn't open. CTAF calls are no big deal, but you mix a simple task with a little weather, a few checklists, some paperwork, and a call to get the hotel van coming while in an airplane that can true out at nearly 600 KTAS on the decent - some of the guys get simply lost. Oh - and did I mention that ATL/CHA, ATL/MCN, ATL/CSG, ATL/ABY are all trips that have been done in less than 15 minutes of flight time, it can get busy.

Also, the airplane doesn't always do what they tell you it does in the sim. It doesn't always break in the same way it does in the sim. The RJ has locked on to stray navigation signals, capturing an LOC/GS to an oil refinery. At least two ATR's have lost their whole flipping electrical system. When these sorts of things happen you better have some idea how to deal with it and mostly these off the QRH checklist abnormalities are dealt with through experience and the more routine flying the airplane is to you, the more brain cells you will have left to deal with the problem (saving your butt, your careeer, your Certificate, etc.....)

Hopefully during the 400 hours of flying that you are too bored with to survive, you might branch out. Do some night cargo work, get some real instrument time, or a few good cross country trips in search of the World's best BBQ, hot girls, whatever.... It is all learning and experience does make you a better pilot. Perhaps I dumber than most, but I'm still learning lots and although I have not added it up in a while I think I'm over 6,000 with 4,000+ PIC.

If you don't like flying, don't come to the airlines.

~~~^~~~ said:
Actually, yes.... Because there is more than indoc and sim training - you have to fly the line.

Some of ASA's recent really low time guys struggle with very basic tasks on line. For example, making CTAF calls while running checklists. As a junior pilot, you are not flying into CVG at noon very often. More likely your first year will have trips to east podunk at 00:30 with a 05:30 departure. Often the tower isn't open. CTAF calls are no big deal, but you mix a simple task with a little weather, a few checklists, some paperwork, and a call to get the hotel van coming while in an airplane that can true out at nearly 600 KTAS on the decent - some of the guys get simply lost. Oh - and did I mention that ATL/CHA, ATL/MCN, ATL/CSG, ATL/ABY are all trips that have been done in less than 15 minutes of flight time, it can get busy.

Also, the airplane doesn't always do what they tell you it does in the sim. It doesn't always break in the same way it does in the sim. The RJ has locked on to stray navigation signals, capturing an LOC/GS to an oil refinery. At least two ATR's have lost their whole flipping electrical system. When these sorts of things happen you better have some idea how to deal with it and mostly these off the QRH checklist abnormalities are dealt with through experience and the more routine flying the airplane is to you, the more brain cells you will have left to deal with the problem (saving your butt, your careeer, your Certificate, etc.....)

Hopefully during the 400 hours of flying that you are too bored with to survive, you might branch out. Do some night cargo work, get some real instrument time, or a few good cross country trips in search of the World's best BBQ, hot girls, whatever.... It is all learning and experience does make you a better pilot. Perhaps I dumber than most, but I'm still learning lots and although I have not added it up in a while I think I'm over 6,000 with 4,000+ PIC.

If you don't like flying, don't come to the airlines.

Well said.

Latest resources

Back