on Delta/NWA -- yes
on American -- yes
on United -- yes
on Continental -- nada

brilliant

Airlines hope wired skies take off
Passengers take advantage of free in-flight Wi-Fi — for now
By Harriet Baskas

Airline passengers are getting dinged for everything from checking a bag to upgrading beyond the middle seat.

As carriers nickel-and-dime their customers, it’s hard to believe they would offer a cool new amenity at no cost. But that’s exactly what’s happening.

Several airlines with Wi-Fi-equipped airplanes are letting passengers try out the service for free.

Last Saturday, on her connecting flight from Salt Lake City to Washington, D.C., Pam Scott of Spokane, Wash., got her first chance to try in-flight Internet service. She surfed — for free — thanks to a promotion offered by Delta Air Lines and Aircell, the provider of the Gogo in-flight service. “Loving it,” Scott wrote in a message sent from the skies, “Nice to be in touch on such a long flight.”

Austin, Texas-based event planner Nichole Wright’s first taste of in-flight Wi-Fi was also free. She was on her way to New York City on business when a Delta flight attendant handed her a free pass. “I was thrilled,” says Wright, “and it worked very well; a huge time saver. I think I would pay for it in the future.”

Food blogger Alejandra Ramos would probably pay, too. Access to in-flight Wi-Fi was complimentary the day she flew with United Airlines from New York’s JFK airport to San Francisco. It was an extremely turbulent flight, so Ramos focused on e-mailing with her online friends. “I told them all about my nervousness and it was nice to have several dozen of them giving me their tips for staying calm while flying.”

So how can you cash in?

In some cases, you’ll need to be at the right gate at the right time, or on an airline’s targeted list of fliers. But there are current offers that will benefit everyone:

American Airlines .........
AirTran Airways ........
Delta Air Lines .........
United Airlines ...........
Virgin America ........

Searching for the sweet spot
“Equipping airplanes with Wi-Fi service is far from free,” says Doug Backelin, American Airlines’ manager of in-flight communications and technology.

Airlines are trying to figure out the right price. For some, the sweet spot for the new amenity is free — for now.

I have used it (from the back) and it works very well. The price of 12.95 on a three hr or more flight may work for business travelers but is probably too much for the average joe. We will see what we ultimately charge for it.

I have used it (from the back) and it works very well. The price of 12.95 on a three hr or more flight may work for business travelers but is probably too much for the average joe. We will see what we ultimately charge for it.
free now on Dl for first time users. I now have tons of email addresses

As the average Joe pays for 4 Jack and Cokes. Take away free in flight movies and make them pay for everything short of O2. Heck, it may even pay for raises.

There was a banner ad on the login page on my AA flight this week, inviting me to use a code on that page for free access. Worked great! If we see more of that kind of sponsorship, that'd be perfect.

Flying in a WiFi wonderland: Free Internet from Google on Virgin America flights

10/19/2009 07:04:00 AM
We know the holiday season seems to come earlier every year (sorry, Halloween), but before you make your final travel plans, we're excited to let you know that we're partnering with Virgin America to provide free WiFi on every Virgin America flight between November 10, 2009 and January 15, 2010.

The holidays can be full of dates and details to remember, and it's easy to get stressed out somewhere between planning a long distance, multi-generational family gathering and combing the Internet for the latest impossible-to-find furry contraption for your toddler. And when you have to do all that while coordinating air travel at the same time as several million of your closest friends, things can get downright dramatic.

Whether it's using Gmail to confirm an airport pick up time with your brother, doing some last minute gift shopping for your niece on Google Product Search or searching Google.com for a good sweet potato pie recipe before touchdown — we hope this makes it a bit easier to stay connected with family and friends while you're up in the air.

You can find out more about our partnership, where Virgin America flies and how the in-flight WiFi service works at www.freeholidaywifi.com.

Latest resources

Back