wife looking for flight experience around jax

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Da Vinci

my wife has a comercial single and private multi. english isn't her first language which is the only reason she isn't flying now. she speaks english fine in my opinion-but her confidence and aviation radio experience is really poor now.

i'm trying to find some way for my wife to fly with an experience pilot and get used to working the radios and get some stick time. she loves airplanes more then me i'm sure!!! since i'm flying regularly, she misses it dearly.

one idea was angel flights co pilot. is this a good idea??? any others?

assuming we are all adults here...mistakenly i'm sure, it would be so nice to not have 100 replys of...she can fly my plane, or i'll give her some stick time...

Hey amigo English isnt my first language.I fly throught the busiest Airports with no problem.Sometimes I dont understand clearances but I dont bother.
Its all about oportunites..I love this country!

“Sometimes I dont understand clearances but I dont bother.”

;) Love it! That’s a classic!

“…my wife has a commercial single and private multi. English isn't her first language which is the only reason she isn't flying now…”

“…she speaks english fine in my opinion-but her confidence and aviation radio experience is really poor now…”

When I used to flight instruct I had several students who came from India, France, etc. I hooked them up with an English major student at the local university who would “tutor” them in aviation phraseology. He’d read out ATC clearances, etc. to them and when they repeated the clearances he’d tape it and let them listen to it; then he’d point out the mistakes being made and let them do it all over again. He only charged $15/hour and I can tell you their skills would improve within weeks!

How did I come up with the idea? Well, it worked for me! I was (and occasionally still am) using his services myself as English is not my native tongue either. Even though I’ve been an airline pilot for quite some time now, I realize there’s always time for more improvements. Safety comes first and the tutoring helped me tremendously in becoming an even safer pilot; I believe she’d benefit greatly from a similar program. I’m sure there’re plenty of cash-strapped CFI’s, commercial pilots, etc who’d be willing to offer some tutoring for a few bucks.

I’d say begin with that and as she becomes more comfortable try to find a local pilot she can fly with.

Good luck to y’all (I know, my tutor was a hillbilly ;))

av80r

Why not just go up with an experienced CFI???? That's what they are for.

This used to work for some of my students, English challenged or not: Get a handheld radio (beg, borrow, buy) and go to a busy airport with an AFD and LISTEN! She can read back the clearances to herself, just stay away from the transmit button. It'll also help her with her clearance shorthand. You may want to go with her for if the federales witness a foreign-born listening to an aviation radio and taking down "coded notes" there may be room for misunderstanding.

Bon chance!

PacoPollo said:
Hey amigo English isnt my first language.I fly throught the busiest Airports with no problem.Sometimes I dont understand clearances but I dont bother.
Its all about oportunites..I love this country!

So that why Aeromexico is always in the penalty box in ORD

PacoPollo said:
Its all about
oportunites
..I love this country!

Looks like the Pollo Loco could do with an spell-checker, too!!!!:D

Is she attractive ? If so I'll put her in the right seat of a citation!:nuts:
Da Vinci said:
my wife has a comercial single and private multi. english isn't her first language which is the only reason she isn't flying now. she speaks english fine in my opinion-but her confidence and aviation radio experience is really poor now.

i'm trying to find some way for my wife to fly with an experience pilot and get used to working the radios and get some stick time. she loves airplanes more then me i'm sure!!! since i'm flying regularly, she misses it dearly.

one idea was angel flights co pilot. is this a good idea??? any others?

assuming we are all adults here...mistakenly i'm sure, it would be so nice to not have 100 replys of...she can fly my plane, or i'll give her some stick time...

Da Vinci said:
. . . . i'm trying to find some way for my wife to fly with an experience pilot and get used to working the radios and get some stick time. . . .

uh huh huh. . . you should be careful trying to find your wife stick time. . . .uh huh huh

get her a scanner, go to any airport, and have her listen. it will take practice but she will slowly understand them better.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back