Wife come along?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

leftseat10

Do some corporations allow a pilots' spouse to fly along on a company trip? Any other family type perks out there?

I would say that most allow spouses on the occasional trip. My wife has been invited from time to time as long as it doesn't interfere with the trip. It seems to me that the smaller the flight department the more likely you are to get your wife on an occasional trip.

We’re a small corporation where everybody still knows everybody and our policy is that spouses are always welcome to come along as long as there is a seat available (meals included). It’s a small little perk that barely costs anything and is great for morale.

In reality, after the novelty wears off the privilege rarely gets used. My wife might come along once or twice a year. Between finding a baby-sitter, dog-sitter, not knowing how many company personal are coming and the fact that when we go on the road, we generally work, makes the privilege hard to use.

Last edited:
This is a VERY slippery slope. I know of a couple of pilots who have found themselves un-employed over this issue. One guy had an open seat policy and was taking his wife on all of the cool company trips. Before he knew it the boss started to resent him. Eventually he got fired for other reasons. The problem was he used up the bosses good will. One thing that I have learned in my rather short, but so far sucessful career is the guys who can afford this stuff are not normal. As much as try to be they are not. People are constantly asking them for stuff and favors. The last thing they need is their PROFESSIONAL pilot asking to bring their wife or girlfriend.

My boss had offered in the past to take my wife and daughter along all the time. I just politily thanked him for his kind offer and decline. If we are going to HI I just fly my wife and daughter out on the airlines and we stay in my hotel (always on the beach )

I am not saying that my way is the only way to do it, it is just the safest and (i think) the most professional.

I guess in answer to the original question, it veries from flight department, but do not ever expect it.

yes - dont come to expect it.

Our company allows family on some trips - and those trips are labeled "family welcome". This welcome comes from the principal pax on the trip.

I think the key is not to abuse it.

You will also pay the tax value of an airline ticket.

We are allowed a couple trips per year to bring our Spouse or significant other. We can pick the trip, the principle on the trip has to approve it, but I can't remember the last time one got denied... Our guys rarely use the privilege...

Our company used to use dead head legs to move around family members and employees on vacation or trips, some of our clients found out and were not too happy, it soon ended.

I spoke with a couple of pilots that work for BBJ outfit and they said the owner invites the families on trips and they have taken advantage of the offer. I guess the comon sense thing is don't abuse the offer and make sure that the family is on their best behavior.

At our medium sized operation, it's not an open policy, but if you have a family memebr that need sot ge some where (usually with you) and there is an empty leg, asking the d.o. usually accomidates. Occasionally on some of caribbean trips at the holidays, the owner of one particular a/c usually invites wives or gorlfirends along. But I have to agree with the general consensus here....its a nice perk, but do over use the generosity.

Latest resources

Back