Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Widespread public distain of airline pilots (or lack of)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

I have found a LOT of respect for being a pilot. It surprises me.

ANY increase in fare is IMMEDIATELY noticed. If they can fly someplace cheaper, where everything else is about the same, they will.

C U!

cliff
pdc (playa del carmen)

ATPcliff is right as usual.

Respect from the public has not diminished along with our payscale.

What we do see is severe lack of class from passengers when ticket prices mirror Greyhound.
We now have to 'serve' business people on down to tattooed soccer moms with cage-free kids, twenty-something baby hueys' in sleeveless t-shirts and third world invaders toting walmart plastic bags in lieu of real suitcases.

That off my chest, I do feel +85% of the peeps onboard hold us in the highest regard...especially when you take the time to talk with them.

Other things we can do to hold their respect:

Purchase Rockports.....NOT!
Accept balding as a natural process of life.
Don't hold hands with other pilots...hugging is ok.
Respond to smart remarks with: "Hey, you're not flying on Southwest." (Southwest pilots-insert competitor of your choice).

Last edited:
When asked what I do for a living I tell folks that I'm in "High Speed Extruded Aluminum Tubing"! Ends the conversation right there.

one opionion does not a poll make..

good argument, but you really need to tlalk to more than one person..just a thought

My experiences

My wife has shared the reactions of the people who heard she is/has married an airline pilot. They are pretty consistent, usually unhelpful and extremely inaccurate.

I/we are rich. - We know the truth here.

I have gratutitous amounts of sex with strange FA's/women. - I tell her that I would never shag a FA, for the same reason I don't eat food from the floor. I know where it has been.

I must be a very restrained and intelligent person. - Looking back on some of the things I do and have done, not to mention the escapades/attitudes of some of my fellow pilots, I would have to say that the evidence for this is lacking as well.

Fortunately, when my co-workers hear that my wife runs the local Vicky's Secret, the assumptions that she is way hot and brings home all kinds of sexy new lingerie are true.

I like wearing my uniform in public, pople seem to really DIG the hat and ID tag. The wings and spiffy coat seem to take their breath away. Everyone in the Liquer store were so impressed with me, the all stopped what they were doing, AND to top it off, the checkout lady didn't even card me or ask me if I needed a paper sack. Na, i said, I'll get one at the airport.

There's respect for ya!!!

727 driver is right.
The public will show surprise that so many pilots make less than school teachers. However, they will show even more surprise when they can't get that transcon ticket for 300 bucks.
The public won't bail us out. We have to do it ourselves.
I do think the perception is slowly changing, however the vast majority of people think we fly one flight a day and make at least 6 digits. I still find that amazing, but again they don't care.

I'm married to a school teacher and trust me she should be making twice as much as she does. She works a lot harder than most pilots do...plus if it was me I'd most likely be in jail for whacking the little devils the way they behave these days. Believe me it's higher stress than most of our jobs.

Respect us, maybe. Pay an appropriate price for an airline ticket, no. Everyone wants something for the lowest price at everyone's expense but theirs. (enter bottom feeders) Ask the general public "How much does a commuter pilot make?" They are always shocked at the answer. We raise airfares, they cry bloody murder. Sux!

Use me......but will you respect me in the morning?

The commonality.... the public respects pilots more than pilots repsect pilots...

It all starts from within....

I can hardly respect myself any more either... Getting 18 days off a month, having a decent time at "work", making $150 a year, vacationing all over the world... This sucks man. I have no respect for myself.

Latest resources

Back