Why you should fly the big airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Steveair said:
But when it comes to air travel, consumers toss loyalty aside in search of a better deal. I call this the “Southwest Effect” — the naive idea that the best deals will be found on Southwest Airlines, JetBlue, and other low-budget carriers, as well as on third-party Web sites. Not only do these better deals not exist, but this greedy strategy is wreaking havoc with the U.S. air travel industry.

In my opinion, it’s un-American.

/

When I got to this part about competition being "un-American" I couldn't read any further. Pure garbage!

"It's all about ME"!

The writer does not give a hoot about his fellow americans who works for the airlines, he simply cares about getting a low cost ticket to Des Moines. "Screw labor, where is my cheap ticket", of course, he is to braindead to realize, if there were no competetion, it would be very expensive, like pre-dereg days.

I am sure he also complains about gas prices as he fuels his Suburban Assault Vehicle.

I had a dickhead at the poker table last night tell me that unions were to blame form Delta's problems and that the most successful airlines like JB and SW were nonunion.

When I informed him that Delta only has one union (ALPA) and that SW was the most heavily unionized carrier in the nation he went on a right wing Carl Rove like tiraid........I tuned out.

[QUOTE/]Failing to repay the debt of gratitude we owe the major U.S. airlines is unpatriotic[QUOTE/] You've got to be kidding? The major airlines need to compete for the business of the fare paying passengers. That's the American way.

Capiltalism does not equal corporate welfare. If the pig can't produce, kill it. Just my OPINION. I hate to see anyone out one the street, but we have survied after shutdowns before.

Well, I thought the article had some good points but also wasn't entirely "accurate," as is anything the news media has to say about aviation.

I do agree with the author on the vicious cycle - New, discount airlines will keep popping up and people will jumpseat to those since they're cheaper and it will just keep going on and on. There's another article out there, "Flying on bankrupt airlines without a pillow," that brings out some good points too. The days of dressing up and have a delicious 7 course meal will only come back with higher fares; fares that are adjusted for the times.... fares that will actually cover the cost of operating the route!

I also liked his stab at JetBlue. I am willing to bet they'll be out of business in 10 years when labor costs, maintenance costs, and aircraft lease payments all come do.... and hence the vicious cycle continues!

"In fact, the major airlines have maintained many unprofitable routes to responsibly serve their customers."

This guy is a complete whackjob.

>>Joel Widzer is an expert on loyalty and frequent flier programs. He is the author of "The Penny Pincher's Passport to Luxury Travel," a guidebook on traveling in high style at budget-friendly prices. E-mail him or visit his Web site. Want to sound off about one of his columns? Try visiting Widzer's forum.<<

This guy may be the largest tool with armed with the most fallacious arguments that I've ever read.

>>I fear for Northwest and for the economy. Losing yet another major airline will hurt our transportation industry badly. It is time to reward airlines that have graciously withstood economic recessions, terrorism, high oil prices and labor disputes.
Showing support for the backbone of the U.S. airline industry shows support for the ideals of America. Don’t let labor unions rob the United States of well-paying jobs with their inflated demands. Instead, fly an airline faced with a labor dispute, and keep flying even when the carrier faces bankruptcy. <<

>>The future of American air transportation rides in the cabins of the nation’s big airlines. For more than 70 years, airlines like American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and United Airlines have proudly served the interests of American travelers. Along the way, they have helped businesses earn trillions of dollars, worked with the government to secure our borders, and given travelers a way to explore the wonders of the world.
And what have they gotten in return? Travelers have taken advantage of airlines’ willingness to maintain competitive fares and repaid it with fleeting loyalty and indifference. At the same time, selfish labor unions have drained the big airlines’ coffers and predatory upstart carriers have poached their routes. <<

The way he paints it, the legacies are the Mother Theresas of the industry, doing nothing but good for goodness' sake. I never knew the extent of altruism among the elite carrieres until I read this article! Wow! I'm sure profit and keeping competition out had no motivating force. Please.
I encourage you to "sound off" on his forum.

Steveair said:
I also liked his stab at JetBlue. I am willing to bet they'll be out of business in 10 years when labor costs, maintenance costs, and aircraft lease payments all come do...

I see you are as "accurate" as that article when it comes to getting YOUR facts straight.

By the way...it's come "due". Yep. When JB starts having to pay for their maintenance, aircraft, etc., then they will be out of business. Man, hasn't that horse been beaten to death and that bandwagon all but abandoned?

I guess not.:rolleyes:

I emailed him and he responded.

I wrote something like this: I disagree with your article and think you have no idea what is going on in the airline industry etc...

His reply was: I have 2.5 million miles on 1 carrier and I have flown 200,000 miles this year alone!!!!

I replied, that maybe he should fly on more then 1 airline if he wants to talk about "airlines" or he should just talk about the 1 airline he flys on.

I say we give him hell!!!

Latest resources

Back