• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why You Need An Electronic Logbook

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I use an excel logbook a friend created and I've tweaked for my own use. It's in Jeppesen format and when I have an interview I do a little data transfer to a printable version and take it to FedExKinkos. It costs about $15 to have printed and bound, you could do it yourself cheaper if you wanted.

The electronic logbook is great because it's perfect. Interviewers can't find any math errors because there aren't any. Hell, there aren't even any mistakes.

I started backing up my paper logbook with an electronic one when I had about 1200 hours. It took a few weeks and finding and correcting math errors was a tedious process. I think I ended up putting a correction line of about 10 hours in my paper log when it was all said and done. I continued using paper until I filled up my original logbook and then went all electronic.

If I were encouraging a new student I would suggest backing up a paper logbook electronically until their commercial certificate, then going all electronic.

Hi!

Citation Ultra-Everyone I know who has an electronic logbook has entered all their flight times into the electronic one.

I use, basically, one line per day/trip. Some guys actually have logged one line per MONTH, and have been hired. I know a few guys who log one LEG per line-masochistict, if U ask me.

LogBookPro will enter all of your data for you, for a fee. Everyone I know did it themselves.

cliff
TUS

Hi!

Citation Ultra-Everyone I know who has an electronic logbook has entered all their flight times into the electronic one.

I use, basically, one line per day/trip. Some guys actually have logged one line per MONTH, and have been hired. I know a few guys who log one LEG per line-masochistict, if U ask me.

LogBookPro will enter all of your data for you, for a fee. Everyone I know did it themselves.

cliff
TUS
Hey thanks a lot for this information. Clearly I was not smart enough to figure this out for myself, and admittedly did not spend much time trying to figure it out. I also did not know that LB Pro would do this service for you.

Yeah, i did the switch over. From day one to now is in LBP. And yeah...its flight by flight. When it was in paper that was a major pita but now its ok since its so fast to enter the flights into lbp.

lbp does have some features that make it hard to use. But I am rather entrenched into it now!

I have a nice solution for printing it out so it looks really professional. The main reasons I am doing electronic is because my handwriting sucks bad and for adding up times in the weird way applications ask for it.

Log Ten Pro is an awesome program. Liked it so much I actually bought twice for my wife and I rather than just install it twice.

I have been logging every leg as a single entry in Jepp logbooks since the beginning. Makes an impression at an interview when you whip out six of them :)

My electronic log has each line as a single type per month, which gives enough report data for me. One thing I do is make the aircraft ID the same as the type (B-737-8, B-737-8) because the aircraft attributes (retractable, EFIS, hi-perf, etc) are based on specific tail numbers rather than types.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back