Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atpcliff

Hi!

An electronic logbook is basically essential today, because of the modern methods of pilot recruitment (not to mention a laptop). With online applications, especially, it saves a lot of time to have your flying records in an easy to research format.

If they want to know my Turboprop SIC time, or my ME Xcountry time, I can come up with those numbers very quickly. I remember taking 20+ hours to fill out the paper CoEx time grid from my paper logbook!

Another benefit of an electronic logbook is not losing it. I lost my first logbook (I had a box either misplaced or stolen during a military move.), and I know a lot of others that have also. I currently have my electronic logbook on my laptop hard drive, on a usb portable drive, on a backup hard drive at home, and now printed up in a paper format.

I have been using LBPro since I started commercially flying. I like the program a lot and it is well worth the $70. As you would with any downloaded software purchase, you need to keep your original order and unlock key info somewhere safe. I once had a problem with downloading a new version. I emailed LBPro and they fixed it easily and quickly because I had the order info & key.

Some guys have used Excel (or openoffice.org, which is free and replaces MS Office=all of it) and made their own logbooks. I could do that, but I didn't want to spend the time. There are other electronic programs available, none of which I've used.

If you don't have an electronic logbook, I would shop around and see what works best for you.

Good luck with your job search!

Cliff
YIP

PS-If you itemize your deductions, it is deductable for professional pilots.

Hi!

...forgot to add this:
Logging time in your electronic logbook.

I highly recommend logging one day per line. So, as long as the tail number, crew, or something else unusual doesn't change, I would put all 2 legs/7 legs, whatever you flew that day, on one line.

Some guys have been logging one leg per line, which seems suicidal to me. If you don't have an electronic logbook yet, when you get one, it's easier to consolidate all those lines of multiple leg days into one line in your electronic logbook. It'll save hours and hours of time.

If you have been using a paper log and want to switch to electronic, LogBookPro will do it for you for a fee. I wanted to save money and did it myself. I also type really fast, for a guy.

Good luck,
cliff
YIP

I secound logbookpro and the way it has helped me tons and tons to make things much easier.
Getting it going first takes some time, but you can minimize this by sending them your old logbooks and for a fee they will input the info.
But once you get the hang of it, talk about so much saved time, from logging to pulling up records.
Well worth the money.

I agree. My poor handwriting alone is reason enough. In addition to helping fill out applications and resumes logbook pro is great for converting military time to civilian. My only complaint is it only does this for total time not PIC, SIC, etc.

I'm not sure I agree with putting a whole day on one line. I like to see the airports for each leg and add remarks if anything of interest happens such as a divert. That way when someone asks in an interview "tell me about your last divert" I'll be prepared.

Hi!

Diverts are easy! Just declare and emergency, tell them your destination and that you need vectors to a no-gyro PAR. No problem. I do it about once a week.

cliff
YIP

For the last 8 years I have entered in Monthly totals on each line... Been hired twice in two interviews since then and no one bats an eyelash...

Hi!

$0.

The reason I did it is I help a bunch of people get hired. I know guys who are trying to do the airlineapps application and others with a paper logbook.

It's a nightmare.

LBPro has problems, which you can read about if you search. Most guys, who know more about electronic logbooks than I do, will tell you that. They'll also say that right now it's the best all around logbook, unless you want to make your own.

Good luck to you!
cliff
DAL

logshare.com - free, back it up by using the export to cvs (excel compatable) format

Latest resources

Back