Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

why would someone choose Delt. Conn. Acad?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FLav8r

I am a former DCA student and left after completing my CFI-A. I am wondering why someone would shell out $65-100K for their ratings just for a guaranteed interview when people are getting hired at 600/100 in a regional jet? A lot of the instructors didnt even use the interview and left for XJT when they met the mins. And they passed the airline sim without going through the "Jet bridge trainer" program. You can get your ratings for 1/2 and sometimes 1/3 of the price somewhere else (ATP, Ari-ben, FBO's) and be just as well off. I found that most of the people at DCA didnt have a clue about aviation outside of the "Academy", save for the regionals, and even then they didnt know they would be making less than a McDonalds employee as a F/O. Any answers would be appreciated...

P.S.- observing instructors and students walk around a little more upright when they had their uniform on was hilarious as well. The guys with 4 stripes might as well have been gods.

You have ssen the light! Congrats, now the rest please follow.

Because they have on hell of a good sales and marketing department. I have however heard that they lost over 200 students so far this year.

It is scary the lack of experience the "graduates" actually come out of there with. Especially since some of them are being placed at certain regionals. People that start there with zero time come out the other end with less than 30 hours of solo time and little to none advanced training i.e. GPS, Glass, and certainly no time using an autopilot. They should however be very good at dealing with actual inflight emergencies since they are flying antique Cessna and Piper aircraft.

Think about it.
For 100K you could get just about all of the same ratings in a Cirrus SR22.

Here are the aircraft I would expect to fly for my 100K:

Private: Cirrus SR20 or Cessna 172SP w/G1000
Instrument: Cirrus SR20/22 or a Diamond DA40 w/G1000
Commercial: Cirrus SR22 and a new Piper PA28R-201
Multi-Engine: Diamond DA-42
CFI: PA28R-201

Did I mention that for 100K I should be able to determine what I will wear to my lessons. There is nothing worse than some 20 year old two-striper C152 hotshot strutting their stuff around Sanford.

Stay away from DCA.

Why would you be messing around with Cirrus and Piper, when for 100k you could do them all in a Bonanza/Baron?

i'm not touching this thread with a 10 foot pole. oh wait...

Ralgha said:
Why would you be messing around with Cirrus and Piper, when for 100k you could do them all in a Bonanza/Baron?

Seriously. I'd choose a Bonanza over a Cirrus any day of the week and twice on Sunday. (Not that I'm advocating spending $100k on ratings.)

Anyway, congrats to Flavr8r for seeing the light. I've been making myself a little spreadsheet of all the regionals/freight dogs/fractional(s) that I could potentially go to here in the next little while. You all would be surprised how many options there are out there.

-Goose

after challenging a member of the staff there about his or her price estimates for my training there, i was told that the only people that spend $80-100K at DCA were "losers who didn't know what they were doing", even though EVERY DCA grad i've talked to has spent that unGODLY amount of money. this individual also told me when i said that i wanted to maybe fly cargo around that my career was already dead, if that was the route i took. i just laughed. i couldn't believe how pompous this person was being about DCA. it's like if i don't go there and utilize their "guaranteed interview with the airlines" that i won't get a job. screw that. CFI's from my school are finding employment with relative ease. I'm set to spend about $35,000 for PPL-CFII at the school i'm at now, and i won't be flying antiquated equipment like they have at DCA. oldest plane here is a 2001, i think. so congrats on your recent realization. I just hope that hearing it straight from a DCA grad's mouth might make future potential enrollees think twice about spending that much money unneccessarily.

Latest resources

Back