why would Delta do this?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So a friend calls me today with a strange story:

She was sitting on a plane waiting to depart Detroit, MI for Salt lake City.
While waiting the intercom comes on and mentions the plane doesn't have enough fuel to make it to KSLC so they will be diverting to Kansas City to get fuel. All of this while sitting on the ground in Detroit. Why wouldn't they get fuel in Detroit? Anybody who has some answers please write back.

Thanks

I think most passengers when they hear any PA on the ground, they'd assumed the worst, i.e. ground delay, mechanical, gate return... Some would go back to their ipod, some would pay a bit more attention (as in your friend, kudos to her:). Please understand that in our profession we use some very specific airline "lingo" that even some of us have a hard time comprehending.

I'm sure the Captain was trying to explain it the best way he/she could, minus the technical stuff. While the cockpit door is closed, there's a lot more going on. There's air traffic control's taxi instruction, company's electronic messages regarding any issues, running checklists. So in this case, the crew is probably busy retrieving new paperwork, inputting new airplane performance data, while trying to keep the folks in the loop.

So instead of giving a 10 min. speech about why the wind is stronger than usual/lower cruise altitude to get away from turbulence, we usually try to give a more generic, less alarming PA to keep folks updated in the back. Next time if you have any questions about the flight, don't hesitate to pass the question up through the flight attendants, or ask the pilots when you deplane. I'm sure if time permitting, they'd love to explain things a bit more in detail.

Thanks for flying Delta:)

So a friend calls me today with a strange story:

She was sitting on a plane waiting to depart Detroit, MI for Salt lake City.
While waiting the intercom comes on and mentions the plane doesn't have enough fuel to make it to KSLC so they will be diverting to Kansas City to get fuel. All of this while sitting on the ground in Detroit. Why wouldn't they get fuel in Detroit? Anybody who has some answers please write back.

Thanks

Probably for the free steaks. On the way out to LAX in the 80 I usually diverted into Garden City KS...Flower Aviation for the free wine...

;)

>>>>So instead of giving a 10 min. speech about why the wind is stronger than usual/lower cruise altitude to get away from turbulence, we usually try to give a more generic, less alarming PA to keep folks updated in the back.<<<

I do the opposite. It doesn't take long to just tell it like it is. If there's considerable turbulence at the higher altitudes and it's going to be a lot smoother at lower altidues but because the plane burns a lot more fuel at lower altitudes, we'll need to make a fuel stop. If something breaks on the airplane, I explain it, what it does, and why it's necessary to get it fixed. If I have to turn the seat belt sign on, I explain what's going on such as it's bumby due to crossing a frontal system or a change in direction velocity of the jetstream. Many passengers have thanked me for the full explanation so instead of just saying "something broke, we're going to be delayed" sort of PA you'll find many are interested in something more detailed.

Last edited:
>>>>So instead of giving a 10 min. speech about why the wind is stronger than usual/lower cruise altitude to get away from turbulence, we usually try to give a more generic, less alarming PA to keep folks updated in the back.<<<

I do the opposite. It doesn't take long to just tell it like it is. If there's considerable turbulence at the higher altitudes and it's going to be a lot smoother at lower altidues but because the plane burns a lot more fuel at lower altitudes, we'll need to make a fuel stop. If something breaks on the airplane, I explain it, what it does, and why it's necessary to get it fixed. If I have to turn the seat belt sign on, I explain what's going on such as it's bumby due to crossing a frontal system or a change in direction velocity of the jetstream. Many passengers have thanked me for the full explanation so instead of just saying "something broke, we're going to be delayed" sort of PA you'll find many are interested in something more detailed.

Of course I don't mean PA as brief and non-informative as you mentioned. I think most pax would appreciate the pilots let them know what's going on. In some rare occasion, i.e. engine/flt control problem, and we need to get back on the ground, I usually don't bother with the tech. stuff, until we get back on the ground, then we have more time to explain if need to be.

Making good PA seems to become a lost art, and I rarely see any CA makes any pre-flight PA anymore...

I think most passengers when they hear any PA on the ground, they'd assumed the worst, i.e. ground delay, mechanical, gate return... Some would go back to their ipod, some would pay a bit more attention (as in your friend, kudos to her:). Please understand that in our profession we use some very specific airline "lingo" that even some of us have a hard time comprehending.

I'm sure the Captain was trying to explain it the best way he/she could, minus the technical stuff. While the cockpit door is closed, there's a lot more going on. There's air traffic control's taxi instruction, company's electronic messages regarding any issues, running checklists. So in this case, the crew is probably busy retrieving new paperwork, inputting new airplane performance data, while trying to keep the folks in the loop.

So instead of giving a 10 min. speech about why the wind is stronger than usual/lower cruise altitude to get away from turbulence, we usually try to give a more generic, less alarming PA to keep folks updated in the back. Next time if you have any questions about the flight, don't hesitate to pass the question up through the flight attendants, or ask the pilots when you deplane. I'm sure if time permitting, they'd love to explain things a bit more in detail.

Thanks for flying Delta:)

Wow, glad you able to explain how everything works, because none of us are even pilots. Especially the original poster.

As for giving a generic speech, I doubt you do. You just gave this long winded answer to a bunch of pilots. You're the kind of guy that uses the FA's PA system to try and impress all the passengers with your knowledge, while winking at the girls sitting in first class.

The girls in first class love my winks. It just gets better when I lean over in the galley and start to put out the vibe.

I only go pretend I'm a FA when i see some hot chicks coming onboard & I don't think they fasten their seat belts properly, then I'll volunteer to do a "tactile" check...

Wow, everything Delta has to also deal with me. Obsess much??????? I kinda feel like you "like me" or something. Get away from me you sicko! OOOh, you just make me want to VOMIT....... Remember when all the girls you met as a kid used to say this stuff to you? Right? How did you get that second job at McRonalds? Is the manager gay? (not that there is anything wrong with that....)

Bye Bye---General Lee

He wants your leg General.....

Latest resources

Back