Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why was the "Ask the DE" thread deleted?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, it looks like I missed all the fun while I was gone. Would it be poor form to "catch up" by combining my responses to several posts in one post? (I know that won't boost my post count much, but I have enough already, don't I? :) )

Falcon Capt said:
Actually, he gave his own name AND location...
I think that's really more than a bit disingenuous, given that your publishing his information preceded his publishing his information.

Falcon Capt said:
The Moderators have plenty of work to do ... Being a member of this board is NOT right, it is a privledge, remember this IS a privately run board...
Yes, Falcon Capt, the volunteers have a tough job, and it's a thankless job,... but they also have a responsibility. That moderators have access to IP addresses and users do not is a fact. Users have an expectation of privacy when they sign up, and they expect the board to be administered responsibly. I had the choice of making my e-mail address accesible, of including my birthday... lots of things. I expect my privacy choices to be honored. When someone who has access to that information decides to disclose that publicly, a trust is violated. You did not use that information to decide to close a thread, delete a thread, or to ban a user, either temporarily or permanently. Rather, you just published the information that was otherwise private.

When a Moderator uses the privileged information to perform Moderator duties, he is well within the boundaries of ethical behavior. When he uses the same information to post as a User, he has strayed beyond those boundaries. That's my opinion.

Falcon Capt said:
His IP Address was NOT disclosed, so no "personally identifyable" information was released... I've been down this road before, I am well aware of what can/should be disclosed and what probably shouldn't...

I'm sure there are THOUSANDS of people in his very state with his same ISP, I don't think narrowing it down to a state and an ISP is in ANY way disclosing someones identity, or personal info...
Information does not have to be "personally identifiable" to be personal. My e-mail address is not personally identifiable. My password is not personally identifiable. Both ARE personal, and it would be unethical for you to reveal them without my permission.

It's nobody's business if Avbug and UnAnswerd are the same person, or if I share an ISP with AileronGirl. It's personal, and it should stay that way.

Falcon Capt said:
Tony, this is a stretch, even for you... ;)
I'm not quite sure how to take that. Should I invent another User Name to be taken seriously? What's the purpose of the personal slight?

A Squared said:
Tony,

I sorta agree that maybe too big a deal is being made about this, on the other hand, I don't think that mentioning the ISP is terribly out of line. It's not quite the same as naming somone, and many forums display the ISP of all posters for all to see.
Perhaps our only difference on the issue is one of degree. I agree that it's not "terribly", or "as bad as", but I think it is out of line. Perhaps I've only continued to protest this much because they seem to think there's nothing wrong with it at all.

A Squared said:
How do you know that one of your kids hasn't registered here? <g>
Good point. I only believe they haven't because they have far better things to do with their time. :)

A Squared said:
TonyC said:
And now I'll shut up, if I haven't been banned or sent to the big house already, because I've said my peace, and I have to go to work...)

Do I get a prize for catching Tony C in a typo????;)
:) If you're referring to the peace versus piece... I reckon so. At least there was a sliver of poetry in the choice of words.

Kingairrick said:
OK. OK.
I'm: UnAnswered.
You misspelled your User name. :)

:)

Ok Tony, so which of the 5,467,000 people who live in Maryland IS he??? Since I narrowed it down so far for you by disclosing such private info... :rolleyes: No contact info (e-mail address or otherwise) was released, nor was any other personally identifiable info released...

He came on here attempting to impersonate someone else, another pilot, using this other personals REAL NAME and likeness, in an attempt to make this other person look bad... If someone came on here using YOUR real name and attempting to impersonate you, I think you would want them squashed immediately... Half of the replies in the thread were from his other screennames (all using the same IP Address), he was trying to make it look like others were backing him up, when in fact it was him trying to back up his own arguments... The people of the board have a right to know this was the same guy in all the names, and that there wasn't a large contingent of people against the person who this guy was trying to impersonate...

The exposure of his multiple identities was to help disarm his argument against the person he was wrongfully impersonating... It was also to clarify why those other names were banned as well...

Stupid people do stupid things... Then they get banned...

Falcon Capt said:
He came on here attempting to impersonate someone else, another pilot, using this other personals REAL NAME and likeness, in an attempt to make this other person look bad... If someone came on here using YOUR real name and attempting to impersonate you, I think you would want them squashed immediately... Half of the replies in the thread were from his other screennames (all using the same IP Address), he was trying to make it look like others were backing him up, when in fact it was him trying to back up his own arguments... The people of the board have a right to know this was the same guy in all the names, and that there wasn't a large contingent of people against the person who this guy was trying to impersonate...

The exposure of his multiple identities was to help disarm his argument against the person he was wrongfully impersonating... It was also to clarify why those other names were banned as well...

Stupid people do stupid things... Then they get banned...
The thing is, Falcon Capt, he had already stated that it was he that created the User Name to pose the questions, to "reconstruct" the conversation he had had with that person. You could NOT have exposed that fact, as he had already revealed it. Furthermore, you DIDN'T delete the thread, you just exposed his IP and state. EagleFlip did the moderating.

Last edited:
TonyC said:
The thing is, Falcon Capt, he had already stated that it was he that created the User Name to pose the questions, to "reconstruct" the conversation he had had with that person. You could NOT have exposed that fact, as he had already revealed it. Furthermore, you DIDN'T delete the thread, you just exposed his IP and state. EagleFlip did the moderating.
Actually I did NOT exposes his IP, his IP Address was kept private. What I did expose is that all those other people were him as well, yes EagleFlip moderated the thread and banned ErnieStrange, I determined that the other names were also the same use and banned them as well when he decided to continue to use those other names to further the trouble he was making...

Snakum said:
Certainly.

Good Guys ... me. And all those gracious folks who've gone above and (WAY) beyond to help me up the aviation food chain, or to offer much needed advice and/or mentoring. 350Driver, CaptVegetto, Flying Illini, and many others.

Bad Guys ... everyone else who is not me.

:D

Always ready to help the great unwashed masses ...

Minhberg the Jewish Pig Farmer

I wanna be a good guy!!!!!!!!!

Flechas said:
You guys have more than one username? I can't believe it, no wonder why we have so many "aviators"!!

You must have had a hard time typing this, what with giggling so hard the whole time. :D

Falcon Capt said:
Actually I did NOT exposes his IP, his IP Address was kept private. What I did expose is that all those other people were him as well, yes EagleFlip moderated the thread and banned ErnieStrange, I determined that the other names were also the same use and banned them as well when he decided to continue to use those other names to further the trouble he was making...
Excuse me, I made another typo. You didn't expose his IP Address, you exposed his ISP - - his Internet Service Provider.

You told us that transpondersoff = flyifrvfr

What was the point in that?

Never mind.

I can see I'm barking up the wrong tree, here. My idea of ethical behavior and your idea are clearly different, and you're the moderator, so you're right.

I apologize for troubling your holiness.

TonyC said:
I can see I'm barking up the wrong tree, here. My idea of ethical behavior and your idea are clearly different, and you're the moderator, so you're right.

I apologize for troubling your holiness.
And it only took you how many posts to figure this out? :eek:

;) ;)

Latest resources

Back