Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why so many VORs near KDEN (Denver Int'l)??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wrxpilot

The proud, the few
I just started flying out here, and haven't figured that out yet. Why are there 3 VORs (DVV, DEN, FQF) in close proximity to KDEN? I also noticed that there are no low altitude airways from DEN VOR for some reason. Thanks to anybody that can educate me on this...

Mountains possibly. Since VOR's are line of sight.

Check the AFD and see if the DEN vor is a Terminal class VOR (it will have a T, L, or H to designate its class). Terminal class VOR are not part of the enroute structure and will not have Victor airways.

edited cause i badly missed the point of the question at first.

Last edited:
wmuflyguy said:
Mountains possibly. Since VOR's are line of sight.

Check the AFD and see if the DEN vor is a Terminal class VOR (it will have a T, L, or H to designate its class). Terminal class VOR are not part of the enroute structure and will not have Victor airways.

edited cause i badly missed the point of the question at first.

Hey wmu,

The line of sight problem makes sense, I was kind of thinking that could be the case. Though I'm still puzzled by the DEN vor - it is listed as a high altitude VOR. But it is used for the approaches there...

If it is a high then i'm not sure. It could be used for Jet Routes (18000msl and above, you would need a High IFR chart to view those) are the other 2 VOR's low's?​

high's and low's can be used for approaches as well as terminals. Terminals however are for small airports that need an approach or a way to transition from the enroute to the approach phase. I assume thye are cheaper to build than the other 2 classes.​

I just looked, all 3 of them are high's.

So i have absolutely no idea.

F9 Buff said:
I don't know either but my guess would be maybe they have something to do with Buckley being in the area, Mountains being so close, or maybe moving the airport from Stapleton to DIA?

I will ask around though, it does seem to be overkill the way they are arranged. You would think APA would have one too?

F9,

Any of those sound plausible. I'll be interested to hear if you find anything out. Thanks!

All the Departures emanate from the DEN VOR, on the field, eliminating some unnecessary vectoring to join the route. Often it you get a heading from the tower that matches the course, and join the transition without further maneuvering.

All the Arrivals run to DVV or FQF, and since you'll need to be set up either on a final or a downwind for landing, these VORs, off the field to the north and south, fit the usual North-South runway configuration well. The classic 45 to the downwind arrangement. I think its all quite handy.

Latest resources

Back