Why shouldn't I go for a flying career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jes77jes

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I would just like some honest help. O.K. So many of you guys that are already flying for careers, seem like you wouldn't recommend aviation. From what I've read, some of you wished you hadn't gotten into it. If you had it to do all over again would you be where you are today? Or would you prefer some other career. Also a big question, how many of you that seem to shun us away from the industry can remember the job or jobs you were doing before flying? Would you shun us away from those jobs too? Does flying get old, is it the being away from home that gets old, what is it that turns people sour on the industry? I don't want to dis the people who have been there done that, I just think a lot of us would like a little more insight besides "don't get in this industry." By the way, I don't care about the so called glamour and money, I just can't honestly think of anything else I'd want to do for a career.

Thanks for any help, it is more valuable than you can imagine.
Jesse

Good questions. If you love flight go for it!! This industry is like a coaster ride. I just had my 6 month procheck in ATL on Sunday so I'm feeling really good now! I hate to admit the ol' nerves were kicking even though I studied my arse off!! Time away can be a pain but it is my choice to commute. Sitting reserve sucks but I spend most of my time reading by the pool. When I'm home and the wife is at work I take my Golden Retriever to the airport park to watch the planes land! I have a Banking background and while I'm thankful for the experience and the low interest loans I got there as an employee I thank all that is holy that I'm an Airline Captain!! I would not change a thing!! When I'm home I'm home- no paper work, sales calls to make, production sheets, etc!! Of course, I still have my 6 month "event" that I study for at home and on the road (love the QRH on those long legs)but to answer your question, I would not trade my career for something else, no way! Good luck to you. I will caution you, aviation can be a cruel mistress I know many who have debt up to their eyeballs and no job! Make your choices carefully! Wil

Yes, it does turn some people bitter. I have felt myself become a little bitter. Not because of the company I work for, but because I don't have a job. But when asked if I would do it all over again, I would say YES. I would just make some different decisions. Hindsight is 20/20 right.
When paired with the right company, this can be the best career out there. Many people bad-mouth my former employer, but I consider it as the best job I ever had.
Another deciding factor in making the decision to begin an aviation job is your age. Because of the time required to make it from zero hours to an airline job, younger is better.
I started flying at age 16 and I'm now 30. I am starting to feel that I may have to start over flight instructing just to find a job in the air. During a job interview a while back, I was talking to a furloughed US Air captain with 3 type ratings and 13,000 hours. He said this. What if your son was half way through the 12th grade and his school burned down. You called the school board to find out where he was going to finish his last year of high school and the school board said, I'm sorry, he is going to have to start over in Kindergarden. This sounds pretty silly right? He was an airline captain with thousands of hours and is now instructing in a C-172. It's kind of like starting over.

But like I said, I would do it all over again just for the chance of that dream job. When I say dream job, I'm not talking about Delta, American, or United. I'm refering to a nice job flying a regional jet. I'm only 30. I have plenty of time to get there (AGAIN) and I've learned a few lessons along the way. The best thing you can do is keep a good attitude and never give up. Try to stay away from the constant complainers or you will begin to show that attitude also. On that previous interview, I was asked what would you do if you were with a Catpain for 30 days and all he did was complain about the company. Don't find yourself being that Captain one day.

Last edited:
How many ways and how many times can someone say it is a tough industry? Well, it is.

One of the things I have learned is that if you want it bad enough, you will succeed. Sometimes, when it gets really tough, you have to want this career, because the bad is tied to the good. So make sure you really want to do this.

Put in your time. Be an instructor. Take a job flying checks with a reputable company. Never stop learning.

Don't compromise your standards for anyone (it's your but in the saddle).

Keep your eyes open and look for opportunities. Don't burn any bridges (the industry is too small).

You didn't ask for all of this but it seemed appropriate.

Hope this helps. Godspeed brother.

Jesse,

The passion for the work is what keeps me going. There are some days that are longer than others, but I still love the pulse of a busy airport.

As for the complainers. They exist in every job out there.

God Bless.

Jes77Jes

If flying is really what you want to do, then do it. Don't look back.

Remember one thing, don't buy something based on next year's income. Why, because in this industry, next year you could be furloughed or the company sell the jet.

It rough right now. Things will improve, they always do. By the time you get all your hours to move to the commuters, things will be better.

I know you did not ask for this, but one piece of advice, seniority in everything and jumping from one major to another is not necessarily a good thing.

UAL727

Jesse,

You sound just like I was some 20 years ago - bright eyed and bushy-tailed! And there's nothing wrong with that. By the way, the "glamour" days were back in the 50s and 60s. Today, it is anything but glamorous. Also, don't always expect the money. You MIGHT get lucky and then you might not.
Do as much research/homework as you can. Go into it with yr eyes FULLY opened, talk to people, read, do whatever you need to do.
In my experience, the job has its pet peeves but then, any job has.
The biggest thing you need to take into consideration is the highly cyclical nature of the business. Yes, it does always get better but be prepared emotionally and finacially for the downturns. Also, choose your company VERY carefully. Don't always take the first offer unless of course, it's the only offer! If you can possibly help it, never work for a start-up. Check the credentials of the CEO, upper management. If you find any red flags then run as far as you can. Don't let your heart lead over your head.
And if you have a job...then you really should not complain at all.

At the last count, there were approximately 10,000 qualified and experienced pilots in the US currently pounding the pavement. Virtually all of them lost their jobs through no fault of their own and some are in dire straits. Many have left the industry all together and it had nothing to do with committment, motivation or the dream but everything to do with survival, family, self-respect and keeping one's sanity in this crazy business. Bitter? No...just very disappointed and sad on how such a talent pool can be wasted.

All professional pilots have to make many sacrifices to get where they are but there is no such thing as a job for life, loyalty, those kind of things. They, too, fell by the wayside a long time ago. There is no other comparable profession where you pay your dues so much and have no real control on your employment longevity. Sad, but true. How many lawyers or doctors for example, do you know that have been laid off? That have to start over every 4-5 years at the bottom of the seniority list. That have regular pay cuts and eroded benefits. Not many I suspect and they probably get paid quite a bit more than us.

Although Air Inc and similar "mention" the furloughs and the economy, I have yet to read or listen to anyone who can tell it like it really is in a downturn. The reason is that harsh reality is neither pretty nor positive and we are taught to be always positive, the day will come. It is extremely difficult to keep smiling when you have had one adversity after another with no light at the end of the tunnel and you are, once again, waiting for that day and waiting and waiting....I think you get the point. Exactly how long should you wait before you have to make a REAL decision to continue or not? I've never heard Kit Darby mention that. Unfortunately what sells is good news and good prospects, not bad. I think it is VITAL that you are fully aware of the bad side. Only then can you make an informative decision. Sugar-coating is not necessary.

Would I do it again? I don't know, maybe. It's kind of like asking am I going to live to a ripe old age? I sure would like to think so and do anything within my power to achieve that. But ultimately it is out of my hands. I certainly understand the phrase "I have it in my blood" or "I can't think of anything I would rather do". That part is true and there is nothing wrong with having a dream. Just make sure, you make the RIGHT choices and have a back-up plan.

Oh yeah and I echo another poster's advice: start as young as you can. Never mind the reasons, you'l figure it out, just DO IT!!!!

Good luck to all those that choose to go down this road - sooner or later you will probably need it!

Latest resources

Back