why is United so cheap?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

relief tube

The other day on a quick turn, grabbed a banana from the basket onboard. The FA kindly mentioned how united only stocks 2 bananas a flight. I had thought enough were stocked to warrant grabbing one.

There's half a dozen First class seats- why does UAL think that 2 pieces of fruit are enough? It's embarrassing.

this, along with tons of other examples- namely the recent firing of employees at dozens of stations to bring in minimum wage contract employees, makes me wonder what they think they are accomplishing, especially in the current revenue environment where money is just flowing in.

is it b/c of current mgmnt, or has it always been like this. just wondering...

I almost think it would be better to not stock bananas at all than to merely cater a pair of them. If there are none, you could at least speculate some reason why - but carrying only two immediately appears as stupendously cheap.

I almost think it would be better to not stock bananas at all than to merely cater a pair of them. If there are none, you could at least speculate some reason why - but carrying only two immediately appears as stupendously cheap.

Depends. If there are 6 F seats, how many bananas do you need? 6? Seems wasteful because you know most people aren't going to eat a banana.
There's a pencil pusher somewhere in Willis tower that's calculated the number of bananas per F seat.
Relief Tube flies for a regional partner so we're not talking about catering for a 777.

this, along with tons of other examples- namely the recent firing of employees at dozens of stations to bring in minimum wage contract employees, makes me wonder what they think they are accomplishing, especially in the current revenue environment where money is just flowing in.

is it b/c of current mgmnt, or has it always been like this. just wondering...

Exactly. The banana is just another example. Firing long term employees that were invested in the success of the company in exchange for ACME ground handlers in the current revenue environment is cheap.

I saw this as a CoEx regional pilot. At one point we felt (rightfully so or not) invested in the success of CAL. Through the course of 5 years that sentiment turned into outright resentment and while they may have saved money on us, we certainly cost the company in other ways. This was the difference between going above and beyond and doing the bare minimum to comply with the job description.

Take what you want. Don't worry about it.

Problem fixed. Next..

Depends. If there are 6 F seats, how many bananas do you need? 6? Seems wasteful because you know most people aren't going to eat a banana.
There's a pencil pusher somewhere in Willis tower that's calculated the number of bananas per F seat.
Relief Tube flies for a regional partner so we're not talking about catering for a 777.

Yeah, I didn't pick up on the half dozen part...

Bethune once said "you can't take the cheese off the pizza"... Jeff has not only removed the cheese, but has deficated on the pizza.

Latest resources

Back